PDA

View Full Version : Is this motherboard compatible with windows vista?

Mark40
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone:

I am new to building a pc and want to install windows vista instead of windows xp.

The MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard that you recommend, is it compatible with windows vista? Or do I need to consider another type of motherboard. I want a motherboard that will give me the best performance with windows vista. Thank you.

Mark :confused:

Rob
05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm currently using the MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard, but my recommenations are for newer motherboards as listed on my home page.
http://www.mysuperpc.com

If Windows Vista motherboard chipset drivers exist for the motherboard then I would say it is supposed to work with Windows Vista. Of course, Windows Vista is new enough not to make any strong assumptions about compatibility.

If you don't see motherboard chipset drivers for the motherboard on the makers web-site then I'd suggest checking with their technical support.

jdh79
05-20-2007, 07:04 AM
That board uses the Nvidia NForce 3 chipset, and unfortunately Nvidia is taking a very un-customer friendly approach and only really supporting Vista on NForce 4 chipsets and above. They do have alpha Vista drivers on their website for onboard LAN and sound, but these are 2 years old, and may not be particularly stable, so I would advise against installing Vista on this board, because you might have massive compatibility issues.

If you're buying a new board for Vista, I would recommend going with only Nvidia chipsets (for AMD) or Intel chipsets (for Intel); I have had lots of bizarre problems trying to use Vista on various Uli/SiS/VIA chipsets, so I'd avoid them.