MB: ASUS P5Q PRO
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Video Card: VisionTek HD3650
Case: Antec Solo
Pwr Supply: Antec NeoPower 500
CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS9700LED
HardDrive: WD 1TB
CD/DVD: LG GH22NS30

On first boot attempt, all fans(including the CPU fan) power on for approx. 1 second, then power off for approx. 2 sec, then repeat power on-off. I tried clearing the CMOS, but still get the same result.

The Zalman notes indicate that some motherboards won't boot if the rotational speed of the fan is below 1300 rpm. I'm using the FanMate 2 install and have the control knob turned full clockwise. I'm thinking either the motherboard doesn't like the Zalman with the FanMate installed or that I need to take the CPU fan off, clean the heatsinks again and reapply the thermal grease.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you resolve it?

Thanks,
Al

The Wise Monkey
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Is the 4-pin power adapter for the CPU plugged in?

devnull
01-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Yes.
The Zalman fan has a 3 pin connector, it doesn't support the PWM functionality; it is plugged in.

Thanks for the reply.

Al

chunkylover53
01-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Couldn't tell from your reply if you got it sorted. The 4 pin power connector coming out of your power supply, you connected that to the motherboard, correct?

devnull
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Yes, it is plugged in.

Al

devnull
01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
The power supply has both a 4 and 8 pin 12v connector; the ASUS notes for this motherboard say to use only the 8 pin EATX12V connector, which is what I used. All fans turn: CPU fan, case fans, video card fan and power supply fan.
I've tried eliminating the FanMate 2 from the CPU fan install, but get the same result.

Earlier today, I was able to boot up; began installing the OS, but the system powered down after approx. 45 minutes and cannot get past the momentary power on-off cycling.

devnull
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
After placing insulating washers between the brass stand-offs; I took the computer over to Fry's, has them look at it. It turned out that the power supply was bad, since I had purchased the unit there they replace it. I'm installing the OS now.

The Wise Monkey
01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Ah, OK then, glad you got it sorted. It did sound like a power issue, that's why we suggested that a cable might be loose. :)