PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Computer pronlem

Zawicki
01-06-2009, 11:03 PM
A few weeks ago my computer started acting wierd. It seems that every other day I can't get anything to show up on my monitor. I turn it on and off and it just goes back to sleep. I think it is little bit more of a 12 hour cycle, but it changes alot, so i can't tell you how many hours inbetween when i can and can't see things on the monitor.

So far i've swapped the monitor and the cable and nothing seems to be wrong with them. I havn't tampered with the hardware at all.

Here is the system summary

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PETER-PC
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model RQ401AA-ABA a1712n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, 2400 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.06, 02/15/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
User Name Peter-PC\Peter
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.86 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.74 GB
Page File Space 3.17 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I ran a fixed transformation and lighting test, and a wireframe line test using the hp hardware diagnostic tools that came with the comp, and it passed both with no errors. I ran various tests using the same tool for the mobo, and it passed all of them. The video card is onboard. There have been no other problems with the comp besides an add on vid card that died after a month. I don't know what else to do. I posted this on another forum, and the answers i got were that it is either a video card problem or cooling. I don't see why it is doing this since it isnt that old though. Thanks in advance for the replies.

RickyTick
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Check your hard disk for errors

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

Click "Computer".

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes. For best results, don't user your computer for any other tasks while it's checking for errors.

Note
If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted you to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Go ahead and Restart.

This came directly from Windows Help and Support Section. Start with the basics like this, then we'll move on.

You might also want to open it up and check for dust buildup. Most people blow it out, but a very light vacuum suck should be ok too.

Zawicki
01-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I checked the hard disk for errors. When i last checked it when it was 98% complete, there were no errors, and everything was fine. When i came into the room later, it had finished (i think)since the screen just stayed black, but the monitor light was still blue. I tried using an old PCI card, the monitor stayed in sleep mode.

zburns
01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Just a question. In your first post you indicated someone on another forum mentioned cooling as a potential problem. If you have not done it yet, why not go to your bios every thirty minutes and record your mobo and cpu temps. If they climb up over a period of time even with the computer not being used, that would be a real concern.

Have you opened up your cabinet and pushed on all plug in boards and checked all cable connectors for tightness. Could be an "open" circuit occuring as something heats up. Obvious statement is could be video card.
The above points are valid but see my next para.

CHANGE THE SUBJECT As I get my head in gear, it seems I have a similar problem. If I leave my computer on or in sleep for say one hour to one and one half hours, I can restart it with no problem. However, at some point beyond 1 1/2 hours, with it in sleep with a black screen, the cabinet fans will start back up (meaning the cabinet sounds kind of normal) but the monitor stays black, meaning no video at all.

Then I "restart" by my front panel restart button or sometimes I just turn the power off and then back on after a minute or so. I soon get a black screen saying POST was interrupted or a BOOT failure occured. My "windows instruction" then tells me to go into the Bios and "do something" which I ignore. I put in my password, open bios, go to "exit" and exit the bios -- do not do anything more than what I said.

From that point I get a "similar appearing" windows loading bar with the moving icon except that the background is shades of black, not like the normal background when the computer is first booted up. At this point, my normal background screen with desktop finally appears; anything I try to do at first takes a longer than normal time for a minute or two. After this, everything is fine, operation wise and speed wise. Works fine for hours just as long as I do not let it sleep longer than one to one and a half hours.

Probably been going on approaching two months now; I keep looking at it, trying to make sure I "know the pattern" and any deviations from it. It is a minor nuisance with me.

My bios seems normal. I do finally boot from the hard drive. When I have the problem, and I hit "restart" or I turn off the power. Machine restarts, my bios stops the boot and tells me the message I referenced above! I go into and immediately out of the bios and it reboots.

Sounds similar to your problem since we both use Vista. I really have not put any time into the problem, just observing for now.

Zawicki
01-10-2009, 04:52 PM
How exactly do i get into the BIOS. I'm still somewhat noobish with computers, but i'm teaching myself as i would like to learn a lot more about them.

chunkylover53
01-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I checked the hard disk for errors. When i last checked it when it was 98% complete, there were no errors, and everything was fine. When i came into the room later, it had finished (i think)since the screen just stayed black, but the monitor light was still blue. I tried using an old PCI card, the monitor stayed in sleep mode.

To check the event log for check disk errors in Vista:
Control Panel, Classic View, Admin Tools, Event Viewer. In the left panel, click the pointer in front of Windows Logs, and under that click Application and a bunch of stuff shows up in the viewing pane in the middle. Click on the Source column to sort (it can take up to a minute sometimes to sort). Scroll down until you see Wininit in the source columns with the date when you ran check disk. Right click and select Event Properties. That's the log that would show if it had errors.

zburns
01-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I am hesitant to suggest that you go into your bios; those of us who have used Rob's instructions, page by page and his parts build list, went into the bios "with some degree of training and confidence". You have an HP Pavillion which I assume you purchased new. I am not saying you are not capable; just that it is easy to really mess things up in the bios if you are not very careful, have some experience and some instructions how to proceed.

For example my Bios for my Asus mobo is probably a different version, and, looks different screen to screen than what you have. Anything I tell you to do would be based on my bios.

I did my post to tell you and others that I "may" have a problem similar to yours; my is merely a nuisance right now; yours appears to be disabling.

Also, my machine is prompting (telling) me to go into Bios and "do something" -- which I do not do -- I just go into it and then out of it, and, than a "reboot" starts over and I get up and running, with a working monitor, in a few minutes. Again, my windows instruction or prompt tells me I have a "POST interrupt" or a "boot failure". It occurs, monitor does not respond or light up, when I leave the computer alone for several hours. I "restart" and then I get the "windows instruction or prompt" I am talking about.

From what you write, it does not sound like you are getting any kind of "machine report or prompt" related to the monitor problem.

From what I have written about my prob, I hope Ricky Tick, Wise Monkey, Chunky, others on the forum, someone may agree about my problem and yours being related, and know a sensible direction for you to try. Again if you decide to go into your BIOS, do not do it "going in blind" -- you have to have some step by step instruction. Trying to Help!!

My summary comment: With my bios knowledge limited to my Asus mobo, I do not know how to direct you based on my perception that you have never "messed" with your BIOS and the fact that you can really create new problems unless you "are comfortable and very careful" going thru your bios.

Zawicki
01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I let my ucle borrow the computer to see if he can figure it out. We still have no idea what happened though.

zburns
01-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I should have added in my earlier post today the following: I am routinely going into my BIOS because I am "prompted to do it" by a windows instruction. Because you are not "prompted" by your Vista software, it is difficult for me to identify a real reason for you to mess with your BIOS. However, others, based on my experience and yours with what may be a similar problem, may have other ideas; but you have to be careful!! OK, good luck.