PDA

View Full Version : Amd/INTEL?

JohninTn
01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Rob,
First let me thank you for such a great site, I have really enjoyed it over the years. I have been around computers since the Sinclair ZX80??? Telling my age now, LOl. Any ways, I just was curious why you switched your latest recommendations from the 6000x2 to the E7200. Unless overclocking is used I figure that they are pretty much equal. Just curious. I have to replace my 4000+ shortly, and was wondering your reasoning behind it as is twice as expensive? THanks in advance,
JOhn

Rob
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi, John:

Thanks for the good words!

AMD makes fine processors and they are a good choice. The current My Super PC using an Intel processor is actually the first time I've used Intel.

The AMD 6000 x 2 you mention is a great processor and one I used in my previous computer. In fact, the new build instructions I have posted use it. I think it's pretty hard to find now, though, which is one reason I made a new PC for recommendation purposes.

At the moment I think an Intel processor generally is a preferred choice. I think it's about time to upgrade the E7200 to something else, maybe the E8400, so I may be doing that before long.

I could post both an AMD and Intel recommendation, which I did for some months, but to simplify things and minimize confusion, I have just the Intel hardware recommended.

JohninTn
01-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your time, and again great site.