PDA

View Full Version : Putting 2 PC's togather (HELP!)1st time

ZMAY
12-31-2008, 01:17 PM
hi this is kinda going to be a long story and im a NEWB at building pc's i have never built one before but here goes..

i had a store bought Emachine which broke about a year ago, u push the power buttom and it wouldnt turn so i thought it would be the Power-Supply was broken i changed it with a working one and still the computer wouldnt turn( NO SOUNDS OR FANS TURNED ON!), i had a friend check the computer who works on them and he told me the MotherBoard was broken.

I was then given another computer from my cusin which he had gotten from someone, it was a CUSTOM build computer with a Case,LIghts,Fans. it worked when he got he we used it for a little bit. he gave it to me and when i tryed to turn it on it wouldnt display on any monitor as if a monitor wasnt hooked up i tested it on 2 diff monitors, i then replaced the slot where (i guess u call it the monitor slot lol? where the monitor plugs into the tower) still did not work, THE COMPUTER DID TURN ON AND LIGHT. anyways that really doesnt matter becuase my cusin and myself were messing around and we turn the POWERSUPPLY(500 some voltage it is) switch to a lower voltage and BOOM sparks and smoke came out cooking the powersupply and i guess broke the mother board, i put a working Powersupply into the custom computer and it did not turn on which im guessing means the Motherboard is broken

to make it short and sum it up,

I have TWO computers a 2 or 3 year old Emachine and Custom Computer, which both have BROKEN motherboards, i want to build a new computer out of the parts im obviously going to have to buy a New motherboard the custom computer case should be fine its pretty big,
im guessing i can use all the RAM and hardrives still they should be ok?

ill try getting some spec's on the parts i have posted on here
here are some;
Emachine: intel celron d processor 340

Currently only have 1 Powersupply, its a 115-230V which probbly wont be good enough and il have a buy a new one????

I thought about maybe buying theses; ill be using the computer for a little bit of small gaming, DOWLOADING music, and watching videos
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor-800MHz/dp/B0010TCK3A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230745840&sr=1-3
http://motherboards.nextag.com/Intel-945GC-Motherboard-548808349/motherboards/prices-html

im lookin in the lowest price range, plz suggest thanks

im a big newb at building computers so ill need some help..

PowerSupply 400 watt? do u think this would be strong enough?, im hookin up fans and lights probbly
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8311052&type=product&id=1174091945952

chunkylover53
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Need a few more things before I can give you much advice.

1) I am going to assume that there is not much on the emachine worth saving (even that celeron d), but give us the model number anyway.

2) Need to know a lot more about what's salvagable in the custom PC. Brand & model numbers on the RAM, Hard Drive, & optical drive (CD ROM). Are you sure the processor on the custom PC is dead? Pictures might help too.

3) Need some range on price. The current budget build listed on the forum here is about $420 on Newegg.com, and that includes everything but a graphics card, which you might not need if your not a heavy gamer. You listed out roughly $210 worth of components, but what is the max you want to spend?

Finally, knowing your new to this, please scan the MSPC parent site of the forums here. It might help you identify some of the stuff I'm asking for.

ZMAY
12-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Need a few more things before I can give you much advice.

1) I am going to assume that there is not much on the emachine worth saving (even that celeron d), but give us the model number anyway.

2) Need to know a lot more about what's salvagable in the custom PC. Brand & model numbers on the RAM, Hard Drive, & optical drive (CD ROM). Are you sure the processor on the custom PC is dead? Pictures might help too.

3) Need some range on price. The current budget build listed on the forum here is about $420 on Newegg.com, and that includes everything but a graphics card, which you might not need if your not a heavy gamer. You listed out roughly $210 worth of components, but what is the max you want to spend?

Finally, knowing your new to this, please scan the MSPC parent site of the forums here. It might help you identify some of the stuff I'm asking for.

thanks man i was hoping some would reply,
the Model Number of the Emachine is:T2984
and what if i take out the harddrives and Memory fromt he Emachine to help beef up the computer im making
---
the custom built computer i will be taking a look at tonight will post specs tonight,
I know i can use the HardDrives, and Cd Rom's, Im not sure if the Processor is dead i know the Motherboard is tho

ZMAY
12-31-2008, 07:37 PM
okay here is some specs i got from the Custom Computer:

2 Hard drives:
120 GB and 40gb

The Ram im not able to identify it has no brand name or how much it is but im sure its over 512mb

There is a Dvd writer-cd rom Model sh-s18z Toshib Samsung.

The Grahpics card is a
RADEON 9200 128 MB AGP8X Graphics Card

The Emachine
1 Ram card of 512MB
1) dvd rom
1) cd Rom
1) ether net card
1) 80GB hard drive

---
looks like all i need is the following

MOBO a powersupply unit, and a Processor

any suggestions, lookin for some cheap stuff yet not junk lol

zburns
01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I think what Chunky was asking for is a list of all components you have that "could possibly be used for a new build". What he needs "off each component" is the manufacturer, cat#, and Serial #; if there should be a date on the component, include that also.

He has to have all three pieces of information or else there is no way to research a "specific individual" component. The cat # tells you which of the manufacturers products it is, while the Serial # tells the manufacturer the age and "manufacturers changes or alternations" to the product during its lifetime. All three items are necessary for Chunky or anyone to make a useful comment.

For example, this information is availabe on every component Rob recommends or for that matter, any new component you would purchase at any electronic supply house.

From this information he can figure out the "current technology level" and the relative "usefullness" (its pluses and minuses)of the component; also, whether or not there is a source of backup devices available in case one fails during your build or soon after. If you have an old component and a manufacturer no longer supports it or if there is not a "drop in" working replacement with backup, then this type situation needs also to be considered and talked about.

So your starting point is a complete list of your components with the data mentioned above. Chunky and others can look at it and tell you the "pluses and minuses" of your proposed build as well as alternate recommendations as a result of your component list. There have been enormous technology changes the last several years and its not slowing down, so a good assessment of your components will help you understand your proposed build. But we all need to know "exactly" what you presently have.

EDIT, about 1:40 pm est. Cat. # is same as Model #.

ZMAY
01-01-2009, 12:51 PM
okay ill try but most of the stuff just has random numbers with no brand name or anything written on them would that be the CAT number? ill write them down and post them here..

many thanks!