PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about wireless extenders/repeaters?

jclaydon
12-31-2008, 10:43 AM
What kind of range do most of them have. Does anyone know if you would be able to use more than one to extend the range even farther?

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I have used Wireless Routers as extenders before, and they can be quite useful. You can chain them together, but it depends on how far you want the range to go. You may want to consider getting a stronger base router and using the extenders to strengthen the signal within a set area.

jclaydon
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Well what I'm trying to do basically is use my internet connection at my friend's house because the silly git is too cheap to get high speed himself. I'd say the total distance from my place to his is about 350 meters

I originally wanted to get mobile internet anyway, but tha isn't offered where i live, except ss a business option which has very limited bandwidth restrictions.

The Wise Monkey
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Ah. Well... that's not really a viable option. The strongest wireless available at the moment is Wireless N which has a range of about 60m, give or take, so you would need at least 6 of these. Plus they would have to be inside someone's house, and I'm not sure they would approve. :)

So tell your friend to get a job and pay for a connection himself. :D

chunkylover53
12-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Buy a 400 meter spindle of CAT 5e and run it underground like a sprinkler system. :p