PDA

View Full Version : Download problems: Hardware related?

jefuchs
12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I've never seen this problem before. My PC has a hard time downloading almost anything, including web pages. It's a new PC (less than a year old) and this problem started recently.

I think it's a hardware problem because I've re-installed the operating system (Ubuntu Intrepid) because it was giving me several problems. So I downgraded to Hardy Heron and had the same problem. Finally, I installed Suse... same problem!!!

To describe in more detail: When visiting websites (not all sites, but many) the page just hangs. The spinning icon just keeps spinning away, but the page never finishes. Sometimes it doesn't even start. Also, when downloading files, it starts, then hangs and never finishes. As I said, newly installed operating systems don't seem to help, so I'm figuring it's a hardware problem.

I recently added 2GB of new ram, and a card reader. Don't know if that made it worse, but I was having problems already. Could it be my cmos settings, or a hardware problem? Sounds crazy, but if new operating systems don't fix it, it's got to be hardware, right?

P.S. we have a six-year-old PC running Linux, on the same internet connection. No problems.

Jeff

RickyTick
12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
What browser are you using?

Lerxt
12-28-2008, 08:24 PM
How are you connected to the internet?

Are you using DSL or a cable modem?

Are you connected a router which is then connected to DSL/cable modem?

Two tricks that I do:

1) reboot the router first (if connected to internet via a router) by turning it off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on - this usually fixes most of my lagging problems

2) reboot both the router and cable modem (which I have) - again this will fix the problem most of the time

If these fail, try talking to your ISP tech support - maybe the device supplied by the ISP is faulty and needs to be replaced/upgraded.

If the ISP's gear is OK then you might need a flash upgrade of your router - again, if you have one - it is also good to consider doing this anyway.

jefuchs
12-28-2008, 09:08 PM
How are you connected to the internet?

Are you using DSL or a cable modem?

Are you connected a router which is then connected to DSL/cable modem?

Two tricks that I do:

1) reboot the router first (if connected to internet via a router) by turning it off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on - this usually fixes most of my lagging problems

2) reboot both the router and cable modem (which I have) - again this will fix the problem most of the time

If these fail, try talking to your ISP tech support - maybe the device supplied by the ISP is faulty and needs to be replaced/upgraded.

If the ISP's gear is OK then you might need a flash upgrade of your router - again, if you have one - it is also good to consider doing this anyway.

I'm trying that now (restarting the router). Hopefully it will help.

RickyTick, I'm using Firefox, but have troubles with bittorrent programs as well.