PDA

View Full Version : Lost

sqigz
05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey man I would call myself a complete noob in unfamiliar territory so sorry if this is a simple question. I game alot and decided to build my own PC (Big Mistake...It'll be easy right) well im caught in the middle and theres no turning back This is what I have

In no specific order:

X-Blade case
seagate 200 gb hard drive
also my original 160 gb hard drive (not sure who made it from my old hp)
Xtreme sound 7.1 sound card
Corsair 1gb sdram
550 w dual fan power supply
Duel format double layer dvd drive

Im ordering the ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe motherboard
GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card
and Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300

Now I know I need the os and ive heard xp pro is the way to go is this true?
will my power supply be enough to run this system?
what type of ddr ram would you suggest?
and finally is there something here that I am forgetting?

anyway I appreciate any help you can give me, I got in way over my head so please help me get back on the battlefield!!!

Rob
05-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Windows XP would be my choice, although I would probably go with Home Edition. Pro is fine if you prefer.

The wattage is fine at 550-watts, but quality of power supply is just as important as wattage. The brands I like are Antec and Enermax.

For RAM, I would go with PC2-8000, but if PC2-6400 is quite a bit cheaper then it's reasonable to go with it instead.

Well, I'm not sure what you might be missing, like monitor, keyboard, and so on, but the components you have listed look fine.

sqigz
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
thanks alot man I really appreciate the help.I have the power supply already it's a logisys(it was really cool looking and it glows blue lol) I hope it will work, btw what would have been your choice on wattage for this system , I have monitor and keyboard, mouse exc... I'm just glad I can use most of what I bought and the parts I cant ill turn into my boys starcraft box, again thank you very much for your input.

Rob
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I would go with at least the recommendation of the video card. In general, this means a high quality 450-watt power supply is sufficient.