PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Dell Deminsion 4700 cpu cooling

Cirndle
05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
HI, I am new to the forums but loved your site, so I thought what the heck try the forums.

I have a Dell deminsion 4700 series
300gb hd
150gb hd
P4 prescott 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb, with HT
DDR2 pc3200 533mhz 512X2=1gb
DDR2 pc3200 533mhz 256X2=512mb (4slots total) =1.5gb total
17 Dell lcd monitor
nvidia 7600GT 256mb DDR3 graphics card PCI express X16
integrated sound question is this.

I want to cool my computer better I used everest home editions sensor option like you did and got this after doing torture test for 3hrs and surfing with 5 pages, and notepad open.
GPU=62C
HD1=51C
HD2=51C

Kind of hot don't you think?
What cpu heatsink and cpu fan should I get for quiet effecient cooling along with artic silver 6 or whatever that thermal paste is called, over my stock cooler.

Also:
How can I cool my hard drives there are internal vertical one behind another like half inch or less apart to cool them better? no PCI slots left for exhaust fan, and only fans in my case are the graphics card one, psu fan, and my cpu fan which is mounted on back of case and an intake fan that blows horizontal over cpu with heatsink mounted on it?

Or are my temperatures fine?

Last question:

I want to build a new system AMD this time.
For my first build should I go with:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 179.00 2.6hz
or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 169.00 2.8ghz

The money is in us dollars, and both from newegg prices, the difference seems to be the ghz is .2ghz worth 10 bucks, and the 5200 has a 3year limited labor warranty, and parts warranty, the 5400 has no warranty from manufactuer, which one is better?

It will be used for college some, games mainly, and a bit of videos and fireworks, html.

Thanks,
Chris

Rob
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I think you can live with your temperatures, but personally I like to keep the CPU temperature below 60 degrees Centigrade. You might be able to do that by adding a case exhaust fan, if the case allows it. If you can then you can probably remove the intake case fan. It's been my experience that it doesn't add to the cooling provided by the exhaust fan.

In general, Thermaltake has been a favorite of mine for providing reasonably priced, relatively quiet CPU coolers.

In general, more GHz is better than more cache. I'm assuming the 5400+ must have more cache to get the higher speed rating. The $10 is not a difference that tips the decision. The warranty is not a difference that tips the decision since a processor that works for 30-days is a working processor.

I don't know about cooling for the hard drives.

Cirndle
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
It seems to have do more with the hard drives being stacked or pushed up against eachother in vertical cages, Which hook to one another. Both are sata I hard drives, and i have no room for a pci cooler fan, because my graphioxcs is pci express X16 slot and blocks the other pci slot under it. After that blocked pci slot there is one more, but I use for my nic card which I must have, for the antenna. I could put the NIC card under the graphics card, but then I am afraid that heat will be an issue, because of space.

So exhaust fan instead of intake, how can I tell which kind will fit my case, or what I already have? How can I solve the two hard drives on one another? I mean I guess I could reformat and install all my crap on one, but one was for windows, and the other for everythign else?

Thanks,
Crindle.

P.S: Is there a way to change my display name which is Cirndle it was supposed to be Crindle?

thanks.

Cirndle
05-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Also my cpu has no fan on it, only a heatsink. The intake fan blows air across the heatsink with the little green plastic thing directing flow. What thermal past, heatsink, and cpu would you recommend for good, cool, quiet cooling?

Rob
05-28-2007, 08:16 AM
I think you would get a lot of cooling help out of a computer case exhaust fan. These are usually 80mm or 120mm in size. You'd have to check your case specs to see which size you need, or ask Dell technical support. I'm not familiar with this particular case, but there should be a place to install an exhaust fan - on the other hand, you never know.

This would be inexpensive, relatively easy to do, and very low risk. It would also be the quietest solution. Good, quiet computer case fans cost maybe $10. I've seen this little change drop my temps as much as 10 degrees Centigrade for both the CPU and system.

Cirndle
07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Can you suggest one in both sizes, and another precautiion was I am only using one hd now.

If my computer boots up fast, runs well, and then shutting down takes like 3-5 minutes after being on for a while is it heat related? I just reformatted?

Seagate 320gb sataI dont know buffer think 8mb.

Rob
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I've used Sunon computer case fans in the past, and was happy with how quiet they were for the amount of airflow they delivered.

It takes 3 to 5 minutes for your computer to shutdown after it's been on for a while? Usually this is caused by a driver or some other piece of software getting hung. If this is happening consistenly then you might be able to track it down. First, if you are using GoBack the you might want to try with it uninstalled. I've seen GoBack delay shutdowns, but not by minutes, more like 20 seconds.

Otherwise, check the applications and tasks that are running when you are ready to shutdown the computer. Try ending the tasks manually before shutting down to see if that makes a difference. Be aware that some tasks should not be ended manually, like IEXPLORE.exe. You may have to Google the applications/tasks to see what they are about before deciding they can be ended manually.

Cirndle
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Okay all is fixed.

The dell uses a Panaflow fan with rpm sensor control 12v 15.99 at newegg I looked up from manufacturer. It has a green direction flow air duct on it with dells case.

The problem was that the PSU fan was exhaust, and the case fan that blows over the heatsinked cpu is intake. And it was facing a wall with about half a foot between wall and tower. My computer was recycling the super heated air into my system and the front vent sucks, from the exhaust from psu to being pulled back in by the case fan for cpu.

Solution: I read about the Dell Deminsion 4700 and the heating problems people were having and before I was going to call tech support which would have costed me money some guy posted his conversations with them from dell so they told him that the case fan which cools the cpu as well should be exhaust not intake. And she alerted the factory that they were putting them on backwards. So if your dell deminsion 4700 desktop is hotter then a mofo especially where hard drives are flip your fan from intake to reverse.

Steps:

Remove the green air duct channel from the case fan's mounting clip rig.
Disconnect the fan from the mobo.
Presh the tab on the left side when desktop is on side, (of course opened up side up duh.)
While pressing looks at channels the clips are in and slide to the right until free.
Pull out and look at it. The fan is held into this bracket by rubber plugs.
Gently wiggle back and forth the fan from the bracket and soon the plugs should free.
Remove all the rubber plugs from bracket or fan or both. There are 4. Also remove fan cord from bracket holder for it.
Now, the fatter shorter side of the plugs go into the bracket and the longer skinnier part goes into the fan.
So insert the rubber plugs as said above into the bracket.
Then, flip the fan around so the power cord is on bottom still, but the label on fan is facing the outside of case.
Slide fan into the bracket (using a flat head screwdriver helps alot when dealing with these plugs.)
Make sure it is secure and all plugs are in.
Then put fan with bracket on it into position on the slots press clip and hold until in slot, and then slide to the left the rest of the pins, (really easy).
Reconnect the power cord or 3pin to mobo slot for fan.
Gently put the green shroud air duct flow thing back on it, push psu cords out of the way and set air duct back on or rather across the path of cpu with heatsink on it.

There you go.

Comments: My cpu went from being so hot the air would burn your face when u opened it, and had to removed one sata drive size they are carriaged together vertical in the front bottom of case in brackets, and single sata hard drive super heated the sides of my case on bottom front to where I could get a nasty burn by holding for about 10 seconds, and when opened and touched the hd bracket you could literally cook an egg to this.

I can run games online, antispyware 2 at a time, trillian, zone alarm, avg antivirus, benchmark programs for cpu, hd, gpu, etc., 5 internet pages, download steam games, 3d mark and still my cpu, hd and side of case were almost cold to the touch.

Freaking insane and now I love my computer so much more.

Do it to it, reverse from intake (stupid dell) to exhaust.
That fan is best thing from dell on the purchase lol.

Sincerley,
Crindle

P.S: ( might still try as5, cpu fan, newheatsink, slot case fan, but then my computer would seriously be the same temperature as my refrigerator no lie.)

Rob
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice job. Thanks for posting your experience!