PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for cooling

jclaydon
12-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok I finally got my setup running the way I like it, and thanks to Wise Monkey, I managed to fix the extra video card dilema *turns out the drivers for the EVGA card i was using weren't compatible with service pack 3 as well as the sound drivers*

Anyway now that I'm using two video cards, the case is getting quite hot, so i was wondering if simply getting an extra fan would help.

And while i'm on the subject of fans, the case I have has a really big one on the side of the case, and a friend of mine told me it might be interfering with the air flow. Is that true?

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Glad you got your driver problems sorted out. :)

What case are you using?

jclaydon
12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Glad you got your driver problems sorted out. :)

What case are you using?

Thanks. I'm not really sure.. I think it was a generic case from taiwan that I got for $70 including a power supply *which i replaced*.

All i know is it's a 200mm fan.

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Ok, does it have any other fans in the case? There may be one at the front and the back, and possibly at the top.

jclaydon
12-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Ok, does it have any other fans in the case? There may be one at the front and the back, and possibly at the top.

The only other fans are the one that came with the artic freezer 7 I installed, and the fan in the power supply unit. There is a vent in the back for an additional fan *120mm i believe* and that's it.

The Wise Monkey
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
In that case, I would definitely suggest getting the extra exhaust fan - would probably reduce the temperature in the case by about 5C at least. This rear fan will blow the hot air from the PSU and CPU out of the case, thus keeping it cooler.

I'm suprised that there isn't a front intake fan slot, but I suppose that with that massive side fan it isn't really necessary.

Newegg has loads of case fans available, depending on the colour of your case and your preference with regard to LED lighting. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000573