PDA

View Full Version : OS for 4 GB or more

Tom_ZeCat
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
If I understand correctly, you need to use a 64-bit Windows OS if you're building a machine with 4 or more GB of memory. Is this correct? If so, then I can use either XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit, right? Or I can dual boot them.

I want to replace my current PC with a more powerful one. I have a home-built machine with an Athlon 64 3700 single core processor, 1.5 GB of RAM, and a 250 GB hard drive. I would like more power for the photography/image editing that I do. Some of the Photoshop plug-ins for things like noise removal, portrait adjustment, and light adjustment run somewhat slowly on this machine.

I don't want or need any of the new features Microsoft has added with Vista. I also will only use a Windows OS if there's some way to change the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys. In XP I use a keyboard driver named CtrlPlus. It's actually I Win 2K driver, but it works flawlessly in XP. My one and only reason for considering Vista is so that I can test software that I write to see if it works in Vista. However, I've heard that Vista only allows digitally signed drivers. Is this true? If I can't swap the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys, I don't want to use the OS. I guess I would have to set up a dual boot XP/Vista system and then only use Vista to test my software. Vista won't run Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. any better than XP.

There will be one additional OS -- Ubuntu Linux, which will have its own hard drive formatted as Ext3. (Ubuntu Linux has a built-in method of choosing to swap the Ctrl and Caps Lock keys.)

The Wise Monkey
12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Try SharpKeys:

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

I'm too young to remember the days when Ctrl was next to 'a' and Caps Lock was in the bottom left, but I can see why you would want them swapped back, especially if you are using the terminal a lot in Ubuntu.

You do need a 64-bit OS to utilise 4GB+ of RAM, but which flavour of Vista you get depends on how much RAM you intend on using. I would recommend Home Premium as this supports up to 64GB iirc, which is serious overkill, but you might run into issues if you go for Home Basic. Vista 64 is better than Xp because it is a lot more secure and will be more compatible with future software.