PDA

View Full Version : ebay computer parts

TC Mueller
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Does anyone have any experience buying computer componets off ebay? If so, what were your results? Im looking to buy my mobo and cpu off of ebay just because of the good deals I have found.

Rob
05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
I use eBay, but I would not use it to buy computer parts unless they were not available elsewhere. The reason I don't fully embrace eBay is because the feedback system, which is intended to give you some measure of the integrity of a seller, is broken.

It's broken because a seller won't give the buyer positive feedback until the buyer first gives the seller positive feedback. This is morally wrong since chances are the buyer fulfilled his end of the contract by paying promptly, so the seller is denying the buyer his rightfully earned positive feedback. He is holding it hostage to prevent a buyer from leaving negative feedback even when the seller has earned a negative comment.

Since no one wants their feedback rating blemished, an unhappy buyer can do no better than just not leave any feedback for the seller.

So a seller with lots of feedback and very high rating cannot be interpreted as a reliable seller. Just one that does a lot of business with a certain amount of success. But with no indication of the amount of dissatisfied customers.

TC Mueller
05-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Well Rob, a point well made. But, if the item says its brand new, or refurbished and in working condition, for a price thats maybe a $100 less. Why not buy it? If you recieve the item and it it isnt what was pictured or as described im pretty sure you have yourself a lawsuit. maybe.

Rob
05-09-2007, 08:48 AM
I've done a lot of eBaying and still do, but proceed with caution. Personally, I don't buy things that cost more than I would be willing to take as a total loss. For me, that pain threshold is around $100. It's been my experience that the eBay and Paypal settlement disputes available are insufficient for transactions this low.

I won't be surprised when I see the class-action lawsuit against eBay/Paypal for tacit tolerance of fraud. I think they can get their act together and provide a robust marketplace without ruining their business model.

justplainken
05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree with Rob here.

I bought a big dollar item (not computer related) from a good seller, but he didn't know anything about what he was selling. It happened to a musical instrument he didn't play, but I've been playing for years. He had no idea that the instrument was unplayable. It was a nightmare dealing with repairs and getting him to pay for it. It worked out and I got a great deal out of it, but took a great deal of my time and frustration.

I wouldn't buy something from ebay that I wouldn't be willing to take a total loss on. If it doesn't work, it's basically between you and the seller to work something out (with a few exceptions). Can be quite a pain.

TC Mueller
05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks a lot guys.