PDA

View Full Version : using old cables

mclean811
12-13-2008, 12:14 AM
I have an old PENTHIUM 3 DESKTOP PC
My husband loves to play his WW2 games on our Pentium 3 desktop PC. Unfortunately, the computer is to old for the new games.
I bought a new duel control laptop thinking he could play his games. However, the laptop can't play them

We are going to try to build a "Game Computer" It is my hope to buy a motherboard/ memory, hard drive, dvd player, and a good video card.
e.g.

• Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz or AMD Athlon XP 3000+

• RAM: 2 GB

• Video card: nVidia 7800 Series or Radeon X1800 with 256MB RAM (2.0 pixelshader compatible)

My question is. Can we use the cables (the wide straps inside the computer) that attach to the motherboard and video card on the old computer to the new Game computer? I know we have to have USB cables for new hardware but I am talking about all those white wide straps inside.

My idea is to use the old computer as a template and just replace everything. Does that make sense?:)

Respectfully yours, Moira

The Wise Monkey
12-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Hi Moira, welcome to the forums.

You should be able to re-use old cables, but you might be hard pressed to find the components you specified, as they are several generations out of date.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your available budget? This would enable us to try and get you the best value for your money, which is definitely important in the current climate. :)