PDA

View Full Version : Cooler fan won't run

cjorgensen
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi, this is my third build and I've got a question. My first two builds went great following the instructions in My Super PC - The Book, which I purchased recently. However, with this build I am using the recommended componets including the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 motherboard, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 LGA-775, and the Zelman CNPS9500 cooling fan. But when I first turned it on I noticed the cooler fan didn't keep running, altho all the other fans run fine. The cooler fan just starts for a second and then quits. Anyway, I immediately turned the computer off. Is this normal, or any idea what might be most likely problem? I tried two other fans, thinking the first one might be defective, but got the same result with all three fans. I've checked and double checked all connections and everything looks like it is supposed to. I even uninstalled everything and reinstalled, but still have the same problem. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

RickyTick
12-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Do you know what the temps are?

I could be that the cpu is not getting warm enough to activate the fan.

Install something like Real Temp 2.0 and then monitor temps with the system at idle and then under a load.

cjorgensen
12-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Do you know what the temps are?

I could be that the cpu is not getting warm enough to activate the fan.

Install something like Real Temp 2.0 and then monitor temps with the system at idle and then under a load.

No, I don't know what the temps are. I just don't want to wind up frying the motherboard if the cooling fan isn't working. If the fan doesn't come on immediately is there any danger in waiting a minute or so to see if it will come on? It is my understanding that the motherboard can be damaged in just a few seconds if the cooling fan isn't working. I didn't notice any heat from the fan finns, tho, when I tried starting it up.

The Wise Monkey
12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Go into your BIOS and monitor the CPU temp from there. Some mother boards are pre-set to only turn on the CPU fan when it needs it i.e. when it reaches a certain temperature.

Perhaps
12-13-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the max tcase (CPU temp) for that CPU is 71c.
Your bios will measure the CPU temp. If you have the cooler installed
properly, the temp shouldn't be anywhere near 50c (very safe) at idle.
So boot up, go to bios, pc health status and observe idle temp. If it stays
in the high 20s mid 30s and the fan cycles rpms, you're in the clear. If
you see it approaching 50c, something isn't right but all equipment is safe.

wowguy
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I had the same problem as the OP (same motheboard), and I thought my power supply was bad, until I read the instruction booklet that came with the power supply (I am using a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W) and I not only had to connect the P1 24 pin power connector to the mother board, but I was also supposed to (and I missed this in the booklet, even after reading it 5 or 6 times) that I also needed to connect P2 (4 pin) or P3 (8 pin) power connector to the 12v something or other.

The second power connector (8 pin) is on the Upper Left of the motherboard for me (as I look from the top, down at the motherboard, with the back of the computer case to my left) just to the left of my Zalman 9700LED. The connector runs from vertically (longwise, from the top of the case to the case bottom).

I would suggest that you may find the same to be true in your power supply manual.

cjorgensen
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I had the same problem as the OP (same motheboard), and I thought my power supply was bad, until I read the instruction booklet that came with the power supply (I am using a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W) and I not only had to connect the P1 24 pin power connector to the mother board, but I was also supposed to (and I missed this in the booklet, even after reading it 5 or 6 times) that I also needed to connect P2 (4 pin) or P3 (8 pin) power connector to the 12v something or other.

The second power connector (8 pin) is on the Upper Left of the motherboard for me (as I look from the top, down at the motherboard, with the back of the computer case to my left) just to the left of my Zalman 9700LED. The connector runs from vertically (longwise, from the top of the case to the case bottom).

I would suggest that you may find the same to be true in your power supply manual.

Thanks Wowguy, you put me on the right track! Turns out that I had failed to connect the 4 pin connector. Did that and presto....booted right up!!