PDA

View Full Version : Where to start? Resources?

cekeys
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post. My inherited computer from my in-laws is starting to crash frequently (the blue screen of death is not pretty), so I was thinking about replacing it by building my own because I can get a much better machine by doing it myself (so I've heard).

The main use for the machine is web-browsing/email. iTunes for MP3 storage/video storage. The bulk of the time for the machine is for playing City of Heroes.

I guess I don't know where to start. What are the rules for motherboards/cases/power supply/processor compatability? I'm in the US, and I love newegg.com.

Since COH is a 4-year old MMO, it doesn't require too heavy a graphics load, but a friend just built a computer for $400 from parts from Fry's electronics and says it runs really smoothly on the highest settings now.

I plan on keeping my monitor and I have a Microsoft 4000 wireless mouse & keyboard that I got new for cheap on black friday.

I'm not a Vista fan, but I'm not sure if I can get XP anymore.

chunkylover53
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Everyone here agrees that you get more for your money DIY. We do have a sticky under BYOPC with the current budget build recommendations http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1642.

If you add an OEM (system builder) copy of XP, you would be looking at about $511 with prices (after instant and mail in rebates) on Newegg right now before shipping. Not sure what graphics card your friend used, but you might be able to shave $50-$60 off with a less expensive card, and maybe another $20 with a 250gb hard drive vs 320gb.