PDA

View Full Version : Add me to the list of graduates

Perhaps
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
My build is HERE (http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2131&page=3).

I am now typing this on the new system. Yet again the fine gentlemen at mysuperpc.com
help another into the self-built group.

Wow what a difference. I think a combination of full graphic settings and being too close
got me dizzy on my first try at Farcry2. :)

I haven't seen too many lists of completed builds with issues first-time builders may come across.
Hopefully this will give some others out there the confidence to go ahead with it. This
was my first build and well worth it. Following these steps will have you up and running.
I had some questions here and there. Maybe an over-cautious moment or two. However,
at this time I have a fire-breathing setup now.

These are not full instructions. Instead, a companion to the fine work already done by
mysuperpc.com on the two assembly pages. These parts are different, so if there is a step
that may slightly differ; I'll make note of it here.

Prep:

Tools I used - philips and standard screwdrivers. (I used a ratcheting/bit set)
3/16" socket for motherboard standoffs. Needle-nose pliers.

Misc - anti-static wrist strap, lint-free alcohol swab pads, q-tips

Drivers - Up to date from all manufacturers websites. If using an auxillary
soundcard, don't bother with the motherboard sound drivers. The onboard
sound will be disabled. Burned to CD or flash drive.

Read all manuals.

The first issue will probably be the CPU cooler. Fan side toward front of case. The
rubber mounts go in the fan first. A combination of pulling one end with the needle-nose
pliers in combination with using a small screwdriver to push from the opposite side
will get them fully seated. Wetting them might make it easier. Now; the push pins.
Look at the arrow printed on the pins. That direction is for removal. So make sure it's
fully turned in the opposite direction. Then I used the foam packing material form the cooler
to give the back of the motherboard support while pushing. It has enough give so nothing will
bend as well. Push hard. You should hear two simultanious clicks. That's the two white
plastics ends going all the way through and locking in place. Flip the board over to be sure.

The power supply has no input switch. It's fan needs no connection. All case fans will
be connected to power supply only.

To accomodate the video card, the fan bracket on the center drive cage should come off.

First boot - by default, thermal protection for the CPU in enabled. So give the CPU fan a
little while to turn on. 7 fans total should be going. 4 case, 1 psu, 1 cpu and 1 GPU.

After installing drives; goto bios. Everything was recongnized correctly. Going by memory
I think I only had to adjust system date/time and disable onboard audio.

Boot from cd/dvd and install OS. Uncheck that activate box during install. Device manager had
problems with onboard LAN. Don't worry, all alerts are gone after installing all
updated drivers. Be sure to be secure BEFORE you hook up the LAN cable.

That should be about it.

BIG thanks to The Wise Monkey, RickyTick, Rob and Chunkylover53.

Rob
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Nice job, Perhaps. That's a sweet build!

Thanks for the good words and for sharing your own tips and experiences.

The Wise Monkey
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Glad we could help, and I'm happy that you now have your own Super Pc. :D

chunkylover53
12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Well done Perhaps! And don't forget us... stick around and share your new wisdom! :)

RickyTick
12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Well done Perhaps! And don't forget us... stick around and share your new wisdom! :)

That's right. You're now an expert just like the rest of us. :D

Perhaps
12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
That's right. You're now an expert just like the rest of us. :D

:eek: Expert?

Hehe, there are a few other fields I might humbly accept such praise.
PCs are an old hobby that I need much more experience and knowledge in.

I was an expert back in the 5 1/4 floppy/Commadore Vic20 & 64 days.
Remember when the internet was just all text ?? :D

Whoops, I'm showing my age. :) :)

The Wise Monkey
12-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Being only 22, I don't remember any of that. :D

My mother used to work for IBM, so we were always quite up to date technologically wise. We were the first family in our area to get the internet, and it was only 28.8 kbps dial up connection that took hours to download anything.