PDA

View Full Version : Various questions about a new build/hardware choices

jc480
12-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I've read various threads on this forum for a while and I'm trying to get up to speed on computer hardware to build my own computer (for high end gaming mainly). My goal is to run games like Total War series or Quake/Team Fortress & online MMRPG like everquest/lotr/etc with full detail, effects, etc. & keep smoking frame rates.

My second goal is to future proof this machine without going broke. My budget is around $1,500 but I can go a bit higher if need be. Although this site recommends buying everything in one lump...I'm trying to pick up some pieces here & there on sale (like the case, etc).

I'm building this system around an Antec Twelve Hundred chasis which I picked up for $119.

My first question is...what hardware can I purchase piecemeal? I understand that...when I purchase the cpu/motherboard etc I want to run those as soon as possible to insure that they work. But I'd like to post pone the items that tend to fall in price and focus on the more stable non time-sensitive components to try and cut costs....looking for input here...mice, keyboards, disc players, etc etc

My other questions...
- CPU: new i7 or Q9550? The i7 in the price range of the Q9550 I think is rated slower in the GHz department...does this mean it's a slower chip or no? While I like the value of the Q series quad cores, I'm wondering if I should opt for the i7 even though the GHz speed is somewhat slower but it has better optimization? Or is the architecture still too new?

- Motherboard: When I look at NewEgg powersearch feature, it asks alot of questions about bridges, front side, back side etc that I don't really understand. What I think I want is a name brand like, say, Gigabyte? that has good bus speed and expandability. Do I want to use the onboard audio to save money on the sound card? I like good sound but I'm not an audiophile and I have a pair of $50 speakers hooked to my computer. I'd like the motherboard to support more than 16 g.b. of RAM...can I buy anything larger than 4 gb memory ram sticks? 6gb? 8gb? I see where some motherboards support 24 gb ram...does that mean 6 pieces of 4 gb ramsticks or 4 pieces 6 gb ramsticks? I'm also unclear of the expansion slots...some have PCI 2.0 x 16 (3) and PCI 2.0 x 8 (1) or various combinations

- RAM: Do I want DDR2 or DDR3? Can you use DDR2 with i7 chips? DDR3 is pricey is it not? I'm thinking if I go with an i7 chipset I would use a Corsair Dominator 6 GB stick (with the ability to add another 18gb down the road). I'm not sure about what the part number means...
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
(3 x 2gb)...3x2 = 6 but what does the "3" and "2" signify? what does the 1600 signify? what does the PC3 & 12800 signify? Is this cost stupid and I should buy some typical 4 gb sticks for like $40/each that are ddr2? Guess I'm looking for direction here

- Harddrive: Leaning towards putting the OS on a fast harddrive and applications on a massive drive...i.e. WD raptor for the OS & a seagate 1TB 32mb cache for the applications...waste of money or good idea? Is there anyway of increasing the hardware cache of a harddrive?

- Videocard: Leaning towards an ATI 4870x2 series 2 gb ram 512MB (the high end $500 card)...one of these with the option of putting a second one in down the road if need be (I like ATI's hardware crossfire solution)...thoughts?

- Power supply: Leaning towards a monster 1200 watt unit although these suckers are pricey in this range...but I want something that I can without worrying it will be obsolete in a year or two with respect to supporting newer power hungry components...overkill? thoughts?

- Monitor: Would like a 24-32 inch monitor that is 1080p 120hz refresh so that I can watch blurays now and then. Prices seem to be so low that you can get a monster 30+ inch monitor dirt cheap...guess I'm looking for recommendations on brand/series

The other thing that concerns me are bottlenecks...I don't want to spend good money on quality components that cannot see full utilization due to inability to support their features...for example...I want to make sure that I don't go overkill on the memory only to see speed bottlenecked by a motherboard with an insufficient speed rating on the front side bus...although i7 architecture may elminate this? I've seen memory at 2000 speed which would be a waste on a motherboard with 1066 fsb speeds yes? Not really sure of how this works

Thanks in advance for reading this large set of questions :)

RickyTick
12-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey jc480. Welcome, and thanks for a great post.

The games you listed are not overly demanding on hardware, so building a rig within that price range should be easy. As you mentioned, you want to make sure its plays everything maxed out, and will play tomorrows new release just as well. We all want a "future-proof" system, but I think you understand the limitations. Not to worry.

Buying everthing at one time, and from one place, is not a perfect way of going about it. Its easy and convenient, but not perfect. It sometimes saves on shipping charges, but not always. I personally bought most of my components from zipzoomfly, some from newegg, and my monitor from Dell. You're right about buying piecmeal, you have to be very carefull about warranties and return policies. Along with the case, you could buy keyboard, mouse, speakers, and Opeating System at any time and from whomever has the best deal. I recently saw Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit on sale at Newegg for $80. It was usually $110. Get on the their mailing list. I get news about great deals at least twice a week. I'll get into that more later.

If you want to go i7, you're looking at 2 grand minimum including monitor. The problem with going i7 is that the accompanying components are still fairly expensive. Q9550 is the same price as the i7-920, but you could build a system around the Q9550 for much less. Its a tough call.

Do this. Read through these posts and think about it some. Then come back with some thoughts and lets go from there.

Look at this thread on page 2, post #13, which covers a killer system centered around the P45 mobo and a Q9550, which is on sale now at newegg for $299.99. It also looks at the i7 build on page 1.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2131

Also look through here where we're talking mostly about an i7 setup.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2174

Both threads have links that can help you see what everything looks like.

Look at this concerning a fantastic monitor. There's a couple of guys around here that have a lot of insight into monitors. I'm sure they'll chime in.
http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=2120

jc480
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks Ricky. I'll study these posts you reference before asking anymore questions :)

Perhaps
12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks Ricky. I'll study these posts you reference before asking anymore questions :)

Welcome c480.

One thing to consider about an add-on soundcard. Not only can they clean up the sound, certain cards can free up the CPU during multiple effects going off in games.
That's the reason I choose to get an entry level card with that capability.
The onboard audio proccessing engine takes some of that work the CPU otherwise would've had to do.
The Motherboard's native sound can be quite good. I think the type of gaming to be done would be the determining factor if it's worth it or not.

jc480
12-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi thanks for the input on the sound card. Yes, I know the soundcard would provide better quality and free of CPU computation effort...but with four cores, I don't really think devoting a core to sound would impact the performance of this system at all as I'm not doing anything insane like compiling software/videos/etc.

Was just looking for a way to funnel money into the best hardware and I don't really know that sound cards are needed anymore for non audiophiles.

RickyTick
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't have a sound card either. Since my pc is mostly for gaming, I use a the integrated sound from the motherboard and a good headset with mic. The sound is excellent.