PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Issue: Rear Connector Panel Template thing

espressoguy
12-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm building a PC with an Asus MB (ATX) and a Coolermaster case. I have an initial mechanical problem. I don't know the correct terminology for the template that comes with the motherboard which goes into the rectangular (about 1.5" x 6.5") hole in the back of any ATX case and has holes in it for all the connectors on the back of the motherboard such as video, serial, PS2, etc. Anyway, when my motherboard is properly located on the standoffs attached to the ATX case, there is not enough clearance for this template thing that comes with the Asus MB. It's not a major issue perhaps since the computer will (technically speaking) work okay without this blanking template but it's a little annoying that it doesn't work. I'm not sure whether it's the fault of the MB or the Coolermaster case or what. Have others had this problem and is there a solution to it.? I'm quite good with tools and with sheet metal but before attempting a fix on my own I thought I'd ask around. Besides it would not be easy to fix properly. I bought the case at Frys and the MB at Newegg.

The problem is that the template thing needs about 1/8" clearance so it can fit between the MB and the back of the case but it doesn't have that clearance; it is almost touching. Also, the MB sets a little low in relation to the rectangular hole; it is not perfectly aligned.

Any help is appreciated! :)

The Wise Monkey
12-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Have you tried putting the template in the other way around?

espressoguy
12-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Have you tried putting the template in the other way around?

Well it only goes one way, of course because the holes wouldn't line up if it were reversed. If you mean putting it on the outside of the case... there would be nothing to hold it in place if I did that.

The Wise Monkey
12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry, I meant flipping it on the long edge - should probably have made that clearer. :)

I've just done a quick search, and it seems as if the standoffs supplied with the case don't raise the motherboard up high enough; one person couldn't insert their GFX card properly. Their solution was to put a few washers on each hole to raise the board to the correct height.

espressoguy
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry, I meant flipping it on the long edge - should probably have made that clearer. :)

I've just done a quick search, and it seems as if the standoffs supplied with the case don't raise the motherboard up high enough; one person couldn't insert their GFX card properly. Their solution was to put a few washers on each hole to raise the board to the correct height.

No, it can only go one way because -of course- the holes for video, serial, PS2, ...etc - are not symetrical. I'm surprised that no one has had this particular problem before.

Washers on the standoffs would move the MB latterally, but I don't need to do that. I would need to move it up about 1/8" and toward the front of the case by about 1/8". I'm starting to think I should return the case ...but not sure if I want to do that. So I suppose that the thing normally works perfectly for everyone else ...yes?

The Wise Monkey
12-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry, it may just be me being thick, but I don't understand what the problem is...

Are you saying that when you clip the template in place onto the case and push the motherboard connections fully through the template, the holes on the motherboard do not align correctly with the standoffs in the case?

espressoguy
12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm sorry, it may just be me being thick, but I don't understand what the problem is...

Are you saying that when you clip the template in place onto the case and push the motherboard connections fully through the template, the holes on the motherboard do not align correctly with the standoffs in the case?

No, I'm saying that when I clip the template into place on the case I can't push the motherboard into it without forcing it far too much

zburns
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
The template installs from inside by pushing it into 1.5 x 6" plus hole. The folded sides of the template actually go thru the metal opening about 1/16" and snaps or seats firmly within the hole; on the inside there is a short flange (part of the template ) around all four sides of the template that touch the case surface around the outer perimeter of the hole.

Some of the connectors (audio) stick thru the template; my esata and USB ports are about 1/16" recessed inside of the template (do not stick thru); however, little grounding prongs on the template are bent inward and touch metal on the esata and USB connectors.

My case is the Antec III or 500; mobo Asus M2N32SLI deluxe. My template matches up with my mobo. My case, mobo, template has to meet an ATX spec as does yours. So I imagine what I describe above should be what you see regards your template, mobo and case.

When I installed my mobo on the standoffs, I had to place it in at an angle and let the connectors that go thru the template get positioned and then flatten the mobo down to, then on the standoffs.

All the connectors are inside small plated boxes; looking inside towards the template, the plated boxes are spaced about 3/32" from the template; however in each case part of the template at each opening bends down on to the connector to touch and ground it; I imagine this takes a little force pushing against the template but not much, as the mobo engages the standoffs.

Again, if our components meet the ATX spec, your stuff should look the same as my stuff, I would think. My mobo sits maybe a 1/32" high on the standoffs causing all my connectors to shift to the right (viewed from the rear) whether they go thru the template or are behind it.

Also, my case had more holes in it than were in the mobo; this probably to accomodate mounting holes for different mobos to give mobo mfgs some flexibility in board layout. Hope this helps.

espressoguy
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Thank you zburns; that was the kind of explanation I needed. Fortunately I came home from work and realized after the previous posts by Wise Monkey that it would be possible to snap-in the template and I was able to get it in. That gave me almost all the clearance I needed. In fact the back of my case was bowed slightly so I just put some pressure it to straighten it out and get even better clearance toward the middle. Then I took a hammer and a piece of metal and bent -very slightly- the part of the flange that is close to the corner of the case just to make the clearance more comfortable there also. So in the end it fit almost like a glove. Happy Camper !!

:cool:

Thanks again for the help.

The Wise Monkey
12-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Heh, sorry it took so long for me to understand what the issue was - just had a bit of a blind spot. XD

But I'm glad you got it sorted now.