PDA

View Full Version : Tri display and SLI

jclaydon
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know what the story with triple SLI is? Does it work? is it easy to set up?

I was going thru my motherboard manual *ASUS Formula Striker II* and it supports this new format and it mentioned that it supports three separate displays.

Now this would be a VERY handy feature for me for what i wanted to use this machine for. But buying three of the exact same card could get pricy very fast.

It also mentions support for dual SLI plus a thrid graphics card.. Would I still be able to get 3 displays this way?

Does anyone know of a cheaper way to get three displays? *i already have two different graphics cards which according to the specs should be compatible*

any light that anyone could shed would be immensely appreciated..

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-02-2008, 04:28 PM
You can run three displays with two graphics cards if one of them has more than one DVI/VGA output slot. You don't need to mess around with SLI at all - just plug the monitors in and you are all set.

jclaydon
12-12-2008, 06:52 PM
You can run three displays with two graphics cards if one of them has more than one DVI/VGA output slot. You don't need to mess around with SLI at all - just plug the monitors in and you are all set.

Well that worked fairly well with one minor glitch. Perhaps you could clairify something else for me.

When I put my older card in the second slot, it recognized everything, but would not display the video on the tv out *which is s-video* connector. But when I swapped them, everything worked absolutely perfectly. Driver conflict perhaps?

any other ideas why?

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Uh... I have no idea, to be honest with you. :/

Which cards are you using? Also, are you plugging them both into the blue slots on your motherboard?

jclaydon
12-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Uh... I have no idea, to be honest with you. :/

Which cards are you using? Also, are you plugging them both into the blue slots on your motherboard?

yes i was. I think it might have something to do with the fact that one is from Nvidia *no idea what it is, i got it off ebay* and the other one is a radeon HD3850.

Of course now for some reason, my sound drivers won't work when I have both installed. So i guess its back to square one.. *lol*

I think I'll just go and order another radeon and see if that fixes everything.

Thanks for the initial help tho.. :)

-James

The Wise Monkey
12-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Ah, that does sound like a driver conflict. :)