PDA

View Full Version : Help with new build

jimbo
11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I am exploring a build for my trading business. The software will comprise of up to 100 charts each with running real time data updates and indicators. Dual monitor lcd's. Many running the program have benefited from the extra ram you get with Vista 64bit but others have done well with 4G ram and XP Pro. I have some thoughts about hardware and I would hope to get your recommendations.

Intel E6750 2 Duo 2.66g 4m l2 cache 1333fsb lga775
4 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix 1024/ pc2 8500 ddr2
Evga 512mb p3 n956-e GeForce 9500GT ddr3 pci-e 2.0 Dual head
Gigabite GA-EP45 DS3R
Sony dvd combo Liteon cd/rw
XP Pro 32Bit

I would like your opinion on whether to run two small WD hard drives in RAID 1 so I have some redundancy without the need for backup. Will I see much benefit with 10m RPM over 7200 RPM? Would performance benefit from and raid setup ,if yes, which Dual hard drives would you recommend? Or will a single HD get the job done. I have a Adaptec raid card from my old workstation.
What Case/power supply/cooling?

I know from others in the business that good performance of the software is Ram/MOBO/Processor sensitive. With some help from speedy hard drives. Mostly any good midrange Geforce card will do the job.Does anyone know if the 9500Gt card run hot? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jim

chunkylover53
11-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I'll touch on a few topics, then let some others chime in.

First, I don't believe any version of XP uses the entire 4GB of RAM, but both Vista 32 & 64 does use it. You can put 4GB or more in an XP build, but it won't actually utilize more than 3gb.

Next, I don't think you will see a performace benefit from RAID1. The redundancy is there, but it doesn't improve performance. RAID 0 would improve speed, but you lose the redundancy. Two raptors in RAID0 would certainly be faster than a single 7200, but again, you lose redundancy.

My personal opinion is that redundancy and backup are not one in the same. Yes, the second hard drive RAID1 will mirror your data, but if something goes wrong with the hardware (like the RAID card or the mobo if it's onboard RAID), you still risk corrupted data. That's probably a bit over-protective :o , but just my POV.

One thing you didn't mention is what software you are using, or whether the it would benefit from a Quad core cpu. If it does, that could be a big factor.

Finally, you didn't give us a budget. From the CPU and mobo you listed it's mid-range, but a number would help people make recommendations.

RickyTick
11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
The 4gb thing is not an XP vs Vista issue. Its actually a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue. Since you need to run multiple apps at a time, you could really benefit from 4gb or more of ram. If your software is compatible with Vista, and I would think it is, then Vista 64 bit sounds like the best option.

jimbo
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
The software does not benefit any with a Quad core cpu. I would prefer to avoid Vista and "may" opt for Xp 64bit.This machine will be business specific-no bloatware or any programs not specific to trading. I would like to keep it midrange $$$ wise. Would appreciate opinions on HD config/ case/cooling/power. Thanks Jim

RickyTick
11-30-2008, 09:05 PM
The XP 64 bit has been plagued with problems. If you just can't go with Vista, then just get XP 32 bit and get 4 gb of ram and let it use whatever it will use. Ram is pretty cheap these days, you won't go wrong.

The Wise Monkey
12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
I would also suggest that the E6750 is a generation or two out of date - you are better off going for the E8400:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

RAM wise, I would definitely recommend this Patriot RAM - $28 after MIR:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220293

HD wise, you have several viable options. Firstly, you could buy a single 10k drive for the OS and have a larger 7.2k drive for storage. Alternatively, you could have two small 7.2k drives in RAID 0 and another for storage, which would offer the best bang for buck but would also require a larger case, more substantial PSU and possibly a floppy drive for the RAID drivers.

If you are worried about backups, then you could always buy an external HD and connect it via USB, as they are reasonably cheap nowadays.

My setup has a combination of everything - two WD Raptors (10k) in RAID 0 for the OS, one 250GB 7.2k drive for temporary storage, and one 500GB external drive for backups/archiving. However, this isn't really viable if you are on a tight budget; I had one of the Raptors given to me by a former employer as a leaving present. :D