PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about RAM

DemonicDerek
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I can't help but keep thinking that you would get better performance from multiple sticks that add up to 1gb rather than 1 stick.

So in other words:

For my computer that I am going to build in the near future (hopefully by end of next year's summer. I say at that date because my mom offered me a job at the place she owns and will pay me minimum wage and so I can make the cash to build my computer).

Anyways... for that computer I want 3GB of ram (mainly because that is the maximum a 32-bit operating system will utilize and I don't want to go to 64-bit yet).

So my question is:

I want 3GB of ram, so which configuration of ram sticks would provide better performance:

3 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix RAM (PC6400 or DDRII-800)

or

2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
+
2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix RAM (Both at PC 6400 or DDRII-800)

p.s. If you are all worried about expandability if I need the full 4GB then I would put the two 512 RAMs into my dad's computer which would be compatible with these sticks. Then buy another 2 GB kit.

Rob
05-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I think you'll see something like a 2% to 5% performance improvement with the RAM installed in pairs. That's assuming the RAM is getting used. For example, whether the third gigabyte is installed as 1GB or 2 x 512MB won't matter if the computer is only using the first 2 GB.

DemonicDerek
05-04-2007, 09:58 PM
What types of things would call for 3GB of RAM.

jdh79
05-05-2007, 06:42 PM
For more than 2 GB of RAM to be used, you'd have to be using Vista and running huge games or doing a ridiculous amount of multitasking. You also don't really want to run > 2 GB unless you are running a 64 bit operating system (Vista 64 bit or XP x64) because some boards have issues recognizing all of even 3 GB. You also will want to carefully read the motherboard manual, because I think in some boards it will not run dual channel unless all DIMMs are the identical size.

If you're not building until next summer, there is a good chance that 2 GB modules will be at a reasonable price point by then (with more adoption of Vista, and 64 bit OSes, it is sure to happen). By that point, getting 2 x 2 GB will probably be the best bet.

DemonicDerek
05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info and since I probably won't be building until LATE next summer or even the year after that I might do as you suggested.