PDA

View Full Version : First build, not wanting to get crazy

msangler
11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I have looked over all of your forums (very informative!) but still feel overwhelmed. I want to build the machine but not re-invent the wheel. I am running a small contracting business, do some CAD work, no gaming, some Photoshop. I like to keep lots of windows open. I will be using XP as too many horror stories on Vista. I have a 20" HP LCD monitor but everything else is up for grabs. My current machine works ok but has a tough time with multiple windows (slows down the machine and refresh) What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance and enjoy your holidays.

The Wise Monkey
11-27-2008, 06:43 PM
If you are going to have lots of windows open, I would recommend having 4GB of RAM and maybe a quad core CPU if your CAD programs support it.

Have you considered buying a second monitor? I can definitely recommend having a dual monitor setup - it really makes a difference in productivity.

What is your budget?

msangler
11-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I have always thought about the second monitor and with the latest flat screens, I would have room. But I do not do that much CAD. Just enough to satisfy myself and the clients.

Budget is up for grabs but I think if I bought a Dell and did the upgrades, I would end up spending around 1K. So I guess that is what I am looking at. I just do not need to get crazy like gamers unless CAD needs it. I am currently running 2.79 Ghz with 2.5 GB ram and a GeForce 6200 LE and it does bog down. Thanks again for your time.

chunkylover53
11-28-2008, 02:04 PM
There are a couple of recommendations at the top of the BYOC link for recommendations. Keep in mind that you will get a lot more for your money building your own, especially compared to a Dell. I'm not sure how old your current machine is, but I think you would be happy with the current gamer build http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1645 minus the $260 graphics card. I'd go with the quad core CPU, the $100 motherboard and a mid-low range graphics card like the GeForce 9600 GT. You could also go with a less ostentatious case, but the 900 is on sale on newegg for $60 for the next couple of days, and is an outstanding case. That would come up to about $1K. You could also downgrade to a Q6600 Quad CPU, which will save you some money as well.

Your call on the OS, but I love my Vista Home Premium 64bit... most of us here at the forums are happy with Vista. If you have a bunch of old printers and misc hardware, then you might run into trouble. Otherwise, the Vista issues are a thing of the past.

RickyTick
11-28-2008, 03:10 PM
FYI on the Q6600

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20081126PD215.html

The price has dropped some too. This is an awesome processor. Don't be afraid to buy just because it being discontinued.

msangler
11-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Wow, you guys really have this down! Thank you so much. A few more questions. I went to the NewEgg site and added everything to my wish list (~800.00). What about a CPU cooler for the Q6600? I spent a few hours looking at reviews and everyone loves each one and hates it, too. No clear concensus.

Also, are there any additional items I need that you more experienced people take for granted? Arctic Ice? Wiring bundles? I will order an anti-static wrist strap and I already have lots of tools.

Thanks once again and hope your holidays are going well. Michael

RickyTick
11-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Here's great info on a cpu cooler. I have the OCZ Vendetta II, but I do overclock slightly. The regualr Vendetta is really nice too, as well as the Xigmatec.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=62