PDA

View Full Version : MicroAtx vs. ATX

DemonicDerek
05-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Ok my quiestion for you rob is what are the pros and cons of microatx and atx and if you have enough time to put it in a comparable format that would be appreciated. No need to go reasearch things just tell me what you know.

My main reason for asking is because when I saw that microatx cases are relatively very small and can easily be carried (some include a handle) which I would like to be able to carry my computer to my friends house sometimes. However these small cases do provide a slight problem with cooling however 2 exhaust 60mm fans and 1 intake fan 90mm should be able to cool a small case as such. (Plus many side vents and top vents and unused PCI slots have vented covers). I also like the fact that it has very small amount of external drive bays because I honetly don't mind limited upgradeability and I do want my external drive bays used up because it looks nicer. THE HANDLE IS THE MAIN THING I LOVE ABOUT THESE THINGS. I am mainly referencing toward the Thermaltake LANBOX.

Derek

Rob
05-02-2007, 04:26 AM
I think you've hit upon some of the pros and cons already. The micro ATX solution will be a smaller solution, which is nice for portability, but has its disadvantages in terms of heat dissipation and add-ons. Also, it may be a little more trouble to find a suitably beefy power supply.

05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
i had (dont use anymore) a 1.6ghz duron matx... it was alright for internet browsing etc but the fact it was basically unupgradable past the inbuilt 16mb shared graphics etc and even when socket a was the standard i cant see keeping an good processor cool enough in there, made it so i couldnt play any games at all really... i never needed the portable-ness so i now have new computer which has a full tower which is already good, and upgradable till amd drops am2.

jdh79
05-20-2007, 07:17 AM
I don't really see the point of micro-ATX form factor boards and even small form factor desktop PCs. Even with a tiny PC case, it still is a major pain to transport because you have to carry the monitor, keyboard and mouse around to make it work. If you need portability, why not just get a laptop? Plus, you have more problems with heat on a mATX board, which probably means faster and louder fans may be needed, and less room to expand later.

DemonicDerek
05-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Well I decided to go back to regualr ATX because I need more PCI an PCIe slots and ect.