PDA

View Full Version : LCD monitor image burn in!

zburns
11-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I happened across the following link which talks about "burn in" or image persistence on computer LCD monitors.
http://compreviews.about.com/od/monitors/a/LCDBurnIn.htm

The image most often left on a monitor screen would be the default "background" wallpaper image. My impression for several years based on what I have read or stumbled across on the web is the LCDs were relatively immune to this phenom. Yet this article implies it is certainly possible but he also says it is unlikely for the consumer.

A quick quote: "Like the burn-in on CRTs, image persistence on LCD monitors is caused by the continuous display of static graphics on the screen for extended periods of time."

Here is another quote: "Rotate any background images on the desktop. Background images are one of the most common causes for image persistence. By switching backgrounds every day or few days, it should reduce the change (sp) of persistence."

My monitor stays on for about 14 hrs a day, much of it with the "background wallpaper image" on. The screen saver does come on, but I have also read that "screen savers are unnecessary now because 'burn in' does not occur" with LCDs.

I have a favorite background and I prefer it, yet now for several weeks, I am switching it out about a week at a time.

I found it to be interesting and contrary to what I have read. Thought forum readers might find it interesting or controversial. Thoughts, anyone?