PDA

View Full Version : Dual or maybe three monitor setup ...

froglips
11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Although I have built a few computers, it has been awhile, and I feel fortunate to have located your site. Here is the thing. I am building a new computer for my wife to do genealogical research, and plan to have at least two monitors connected (one in the portrait/full page mode at all times). What would you suggest for video cards in this instance? I might add a third monitor at a later date, but feel that I could use the on board video capabilities for this, as it would be for email and the like only. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

The Wise Monkey
11-12-2008, 04:34 AM
Any graphics card will do really, as most of them have more than one output port nowadays. Depending on the size of your monitors, you may need to spend a bit more, but you should be able to get something for about $50, like this 8600GTS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143113

zburns
11-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Looked up Evga 8800 GTS spec sheet; says it will support two "2560 x 1600 resolution displays"; those are big monitors prob 30". I looked quickly at multiple sites ref using a third monitor off the onboard video. If I saw a comment about this specific subject, it was "cannot be done"; it is "either onboard or the video card, not both at same time". To resolve this question, the quickest and surest is to ask the mobo manufacturer it is possible to run onboard simultaneous with two monitors off the video card. Your mobo spec sheet or book may tell you also.

Make sure your video card choice supports the resolution of the monitors you intend to use!! It matters.

The Wise Monkey
11-13-2008, 07:12 AM
You could also buy a really cheap PCI graphics card as an alternative to buying two expensive cards.