PDA

View Full Version : MSI 790GX Platinum, no FDD?

gtrasi
11-10-2008, 12:12 AM
The MSI 790GX Platinum mobo doesn't have a floppy drive connector, so I wonder how am I going to install the SATA drivers that are needed by XP OS prior to installing the OS?

Don't tell me that I have to copy the drivers from the floppy disk ontoa cd...!

Jst another question..iam combining Corsair XMS2 800MHz 1024*2GB/PC2 6400 5-5-5-12(timings) with Corsair XMS2 800Mhz 1024*2GB/PC2 6400 5-5-5-18(timings)...hope that minor difference in latency wont screwup things ?

Regards,
Gaurav.

The Wise Monkey
11-10-2008, 07:20 AM
The latencies won't matter as they will both run at the slower speeds.

Just checked out your mobo on newegg, and it does have a FDD slot, it is just in a very weird place - below the PCI slots... :/

Cirndle
11-15-2008, 02:15 AM
Xp should pick up your sata drivers, at least generic ones. Usually with hard drives unless your talking about a raid, they usually include firmware upgrades via flashing, but not actual drivers.

As far as the ram, I am pretty sure that SPD or auto in the bios for memory will automatically default all memory speeds to the lowest one in the computer, and also I think it does this for latencies as well. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, you can manually adjust your timings, or latencies in bios, for most motherboards that are not proprietary, just don't get happy on the voltage and such.