PDA

View Full Version : BIOS display corrupted

SailorJim
11-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Greetings, have video, but unreadable. Have build several computers, but have never seen this before. My newest setup:

MB ASUS M3N78 PRO
CPU AMD 64X2 6000+ 3.1
HD WD Black Caviar 500GB
RAM 1Gx2 Cruical
VGA EVGA 8600GT 256-P2-N751
PS 430w

When I turn it on I get readable video and the nice ASUS splash telling me to hrt (DEL) or TAB. When I hit TAB video is still readable. Instead when I hit (DEL) to enter into BIOS Setup the video is 90% unreadable. Tried with VGA card, tried with onboard video results identical. Suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2008, 04:02 AM
Hmm, I've never heard of anything like this either...

The only thing I could suggest would be to try and download the latest version of the BIOS and try to update it.

SailorJim
11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
OK, looking at the ASUS web site it appears there are 2 BIOS updates. When I boot it displays BIOS 0305. But reviewing the summary of what each fixes it appears it may or may not work.

SailorJim
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Another thing to add to the above: even after I update the BIOS...any tips on how to tell if it's a CPU problem or mobo problem?
When I enter the BIOS setup and rwad what I can read it does appear that the computer is functioning as it should you just can't read anything on the screen. Odd how the ASUS splash is OK and the "Windows Setup" are clear/readable. However, it's my understanding that some of this is "hardwired" and will show up no matter.

zburns
11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I think what Wise Monkey is saying is by downloading a later version you are replacing your BIOS altogether with a fresh version. This remedy assumes your present BIOS is corrupted somehow when you enter it, and your video goes ape. It is my understanding that later and later versions are full complete BIOS including the intended fix. It is not just an update to repair a small part of the code.

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I moved these posts into a different thread to separate the two different problems.

zburns is right in this respect - flashing the BIOS replaces it in its entireity, so any problems should be fixed. I doubt that it is a problem with your GFX card if the other things are displayed correctly, so a BIOS issue is the most likely culprit.

To be honest, you could probably leave it for the time being and see how your PC is performing. If there are no issues, then it is probably safer to leave the BIOS alone, as there are inherent risks with flashing it.

SailorJim
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Trying the flash BIOS thing first. Checked with a local guy and he was thinking my monitor and it's hertz was too high and to try another monitor...which I don't have. He also suggested as you have to flash the BIOS. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the tips so far.

zburns
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Just curious. Was your monitor purchased new when your new build components were purchased. Is it older or what? I looked at the Resolution Chart for your card on EVGA, then the Dell Online store. There are some flat screen monitors that have native resolutions that do not match up with your card. I assume a particular resolution has a specific kilo Hz scan rate. So if the BIOS flash does not fix things, you can check your monitor specs against your 8600 GT specs. Sort of the same thing the local guy said.

SailorJim
11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
The montior is a SOYO brand. Turns out in the mail today I got the M/M DVI cable I ordered. As a last thing to do before proceeding with an RMA I tried it out and guess what? It worked. Cleared the picture up just like it is supposed to be. Before I was using the VGA cable connection on the monitor and either going VGA connection to the onboard VGA or attaching the VGA to DVI connector that came in the ASUS box. Earlier I had talked to the ASUS tech and all they thought was a Southbridge issue. So for all you PC builders out there don't give up! And to all the folks at Super PC thanks.

The Wise Monkey
11-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Fair enough then - never would have thought of that. :)

zburns
11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Here is a link that probably describes SailorJim's problem. Good info about DVI and VGA connections. http://www.thesmallest.com/lessonettes/dviandvga.html

SailorJim
11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Zburns, thanks for the link. Display still working great. Letting HD and rest burn-in to ensure all works fine before the warranty poops out. Still odd how the VGA to VGA did not work, which it did on my old computer. One of life's puzzles.

zburns
11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Glad to hear thinkgs ok. Something always bothered me about your posts. Your first one used the term 90% unreadable; to me this meant that there was something "organized" that you were looking at. If your video was really "out", you should not have been able to say 90%, etc.. You would not expect this comment if the BIOS is corrupted; not that it could not happen. How can the BIOS fail so that there remains some "organization" to your video signal. Odds are against it.

Your local man's comments were also helpful in ruling out a particular cause. An older monitor, even just several years old, may not support your new system resolution. In the end your solution was a simple one, meaning a minor problem. You were really fine all along. Just a simple "component (cable) error".

What matters from a confidence viewpoint is that you know the "real reason" for the problem.