PDA

View Full Version : On-Board Video, automated backups, XP, etc.

espressoguy
11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello everyone!
This is my first post here. I'm planning to build my own system to replace my 6yr-old AMD athlon 1.2GHZ system. I'm not a gamer and I'm hoping to keep it under $500 or thereabouts (AMD again). It will probably be a dual-b oot XP/Linux (Debian or Ubuntu) system. Some questions:
1. I went into FRY's the other day inquiring about motherboards and the salesman told me that several of these ASUS motherboards in the $90-$120 range have on-board video so that I would not need a video card. Is this true/false or are these on-board video setups so minimal that they should not even be considered?
2. I found out recently that the Apple OS has something called the "Time Machine" which runs in the background and backs up files to an external drive in such a way that it's possible at any point in time to retrieve a previous version of any file that has changed several times before it became lost/corrupted. Does anyone know of a similar Application for the PC that is well designed and easy to use?
3. I'm planning to use my Windows XP from the old PC on the new PC. How do I de-activate it for the old PC and activate it on the new PC? The old PC had a hard-drive crash so right now I have only the Install CD - it is not installed and running on any PC at this time. I want to install it on the new PC but I'm assuming that I'll have to do something to de-activate it; otherwise it will look like I'm installing it on two PC's at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the help!

chunkylover53
11-09-2008, 06:48 PM
The current budget build recos are here. http://forums.mysuperpc.com/showthread.php?t=1642

There is a video card listed in the reco, but the motherboard listed also has onboard video. If you not a gamer, the onboard video might be fine for you. You could always try the onboard video, and add a video card later if you start doing something that requires more graphics power.

I can't help you with number 2, but if your copy of XP is part of an installation CD that came with the computer I don't think you can use it again. If it's a retail copy of XP, you should be able to install on the new build no problem. You might need to call Microsoft, but I don't think so. Don't worry, if I'm wrong on that someone will post and correct me.

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Onboard video is more than adequate for most things, but you may struggle if you choose to watch high-definition videos, or if you have a large monitor.

Try installing your copy of XP on your new PC and see what it says. If you need to re-activate it, then you will probably need to phone up Microsoft to explain the situation.

Windows has a built in feature called Volume Shadow Copy, which keeps a record of changes made to a file, kind of like Time Machine. I know that it is in Vista and Server 2003, but I can't remember if it is available for XP.

If you are looking for some comercial software, then Memeo Autobackup and Acronis True Image are two of the best options:

http://www.memeo.com/autobackup.php

http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

espressoguy
11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Try installing your copy of XP on your new PC and see what it says. If you need to re-activate it, then you will probably need to phone up Microsoft to explain the situation.
My copy came with a PC that I bought 6yrs ago at a computer "Show" in the LA area where small clone companies come and offer various Clone PC Packages. My XP disk came with a little pamplet that says "For distribution only with a new PC". I think I checked at the time of purchase and was told that I could move it to a new PC but cant remember for sure. If not, what is the worst case ...Microsoft tells me that it is worthless except on the original computer and that I have to go out and buy a full new Retail version of Vista? Or do they sometimes allow an "upgrade" (for a reduced price) when transferring OEM XP from an old computer to another?

If you are looking for some comercial software, then Memeo Autobackup and Acronis True Image are two of the best options:

Has anyone ever used or heard of "syncredible" ? It seems to be less pricey than Autobackup and True Image.

http://www.ascomp.de/index.php?php=prog&prog=synchredible

Thanks alot Wise Monkey for all the advice!! And thanks alot also chunkylover53!!

chunkylover53
11-10-2008, 08:08 PM
If not, what is the worst case ...Microsoft tells me that it is worthless except on the original computer and that I have to go out and buy a full new Retail version of Vista?

Actually the worst case, since you are technically a system builder when you build your next PC, is you buy your own OEM version of XP for $80 or $90 instead of a retail version. :D