PDA

View Full Version : evga 8800gts error code 10

seanca1
11-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Built super pc per the host of this web sites instruction like a year, or a year and a half ago and recently had the computer shipped from one state to the other.

Hardware: Antec Sonata III, asus m2n32sli deluxe, sb extreme gamer, wd caviar 750gb hdd, window xp home edition, amd 6000 dual core, viewsonic vx2235 (5ms) 22" monitor, crucial pc8500 2 gigs, zalman cnps 9500 cpu cooler.

Need less to say the comp arrived in pieces. the clip on the zalman snapped, and the evga 8800gts after market gpu cooler had fallen off. I originally had a problem with the card (I think) where after about an hour of gaming the gaming experience was malfunctioning and the game play was acting "strange." I monitored the gpu temp which was fine, but decided to put on an after market gpu cooler anyway.

The computer was working fine last time I used it like a year ago except for the gaming problem. When I finally got a new clip for the zalman, and reattached the vga card and cooler, I used 4 #2 screws to hold the cooler to the gpu.

I plugged in the comp and got vertical wavy lines in the monitor. When the viewsonic screen boots and shows digital mode it looks fine so I am assuming it is not the monitor. I am using the dvi connector.

I went into the xp device manager and noticed the evga was not functioning properly and gave me an error code 10. Per checking this ec at the ms web page they told me it was very likely a conflict of some kind, so I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the evga driver and the driver installation could not be completed.

Is it possible I beat this card to death and damaged it? I had a heck of a time installing the after market gpu cooler the 1st time and ended up crazy-glueing the gpu to the cooler and it actually worked. During transit the gpu cooler fell off as well as the zalman.

Is it possible the pci express slot could be damaged? I wanted to plug the card into the pci express slot furthest away from the cpu, but the huge card wouldn't make it with the sb audio plugged in all the way in the slot furthest away from the cpu.

I am thinking hardware issue inspite of the info from the support ms page. Living in this one-horse town there isn't even a computer store that sells video cards so I thought I would seek some advice before buying one online. The easiest thing I could think of would be to just plug in a working card.

Other than that I am thrilled with the speed and features on my super pc. The ai-booster was turned up to 110% and tried with no o/c. I have kept all hardware at stock speeds.

The Wise Monkey
11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
... crazy glue? :/

Well, it sounds as if your GFX card is on its last legs, probably from being knocked about in transit. Do you have another computer to test the card in?

seanca1
11-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't have another pc to test it in. But a thought occurred to me. The radio shack screws I used to jury rig the gpu cooler may be causing a grounding issue. I need to remove that assembly and try putting the old, stock gpu fan on. I know crazy glue... I've done worse things. When I installed the 3.5 floppy, I took one out of an old computer sitting on the side of my house that had been rained on.

Upon powering up the pc, the floppy caught on fire and started burning the floppy power supply plug like a firecracker fuse. I unplugged the system right before the cable started burning its way up to the psu.

It doesn't pay to be cheap or do shoddy work.

Do you know if the 8800gt card with 512mb will suffice for need for speed, grand theft auto, and doom 3? I have no plans for now for dual sli as I am just an occasional gamer.

RickyTick
11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
The 8800GT will play all of those games with ease.

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah, the 8800GT is an excellent card, but for about the same price you could get a 9600GT or an HD4850, both of which are better performers.

Actually, the 4850 is really cheap at the moment on newegg - $140 after MIR for the same performance as a 9800GTX+. :o

seanca1
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the great information and recommendations. I'll research those cards before I buy. I am kind of on a budget right now after being laid off, so I didn't really want to spend $250 for a video card if I don't have to, but I do want a top-notch video card in case I feel "the need for speed!"

The Wise Monkey
11-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Like I said, the HD4850 is probably the best bang-for-buck at the moment, especially at the current price.

I have one, and with a little overclocking it runs Crysis at the highest settings on my 22" monitor with no problems at all. :)

seanca1
11-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I purchased the hd4850 from NewEgg.com and am rubbing my hands with anticipation!

I've been using my asus Eee 4gb SSD UMPC for the last 6 months, and whereas it is a great little linux machine weighing in at only 2 pounds, and is a great travel companion spacewise, it only has a screen resolution of 800X480.

Not nearly adequate to view my roadtrip pictures from Southern California, up the Coast to Central Oregon.

The Wise Monkey
11-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, the EEEPCs are pretty good, but I always end up plugging in a USB mouse, keyboard and an external monitor... XD

seanca1
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
That's exactly what I am doing right now. The keyboard, whereas may be cute, seems more suited for a childs hands, and the touchpad is difficult for me to use. But the wi-fi. Is great. I was able to "poach" free wifi signals all the way from California to Oregon, just by driving around from building to building and finding an unlocked access point.

In another 4 days, hopefully I should have some real computing power once I get my card. I didn't even have to pay sales tax here in Oregon. The $140 fits quite nicely into my budget. . In the meanwhile, I am quite rusty on my hardware skills. I may have to bone up on the web-site, and start reading the forums in case I want to OC my pc in the future. There is quite a lot for me to learn yet.

seanca1
11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Got my new graphics card today. My computer is at my sisters house, so I need a ride to go pick it up. I am looking forward to becoming a super-pc graduate!

Up until now, my evga 8800gts had some problems (or so I think.)

If this card works out I will be a happy camper.

The Wise Monkey
11-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Let us know how it goes. :)

seanca1
11-16-2008, 02:08 AM
ok. No more talk. i got the vga card and it works!

Thanks for the tip wise monkey!

I still have some fine-tuning to do with my vx2235 viewsonic, but the important thing is my super pc is now functional!

the hd 4850, whereas looking somewhat generic, kicks ass!

Just wait till I read the chapter on oc. I'll destroy my super pc. But it will be fun doing it.

The Wise Monkey
11-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Good job! :)

seanca1
11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Thank you for the recommendation wise monkey. I plugged in the hd 4850 sapphire card and it worked as I would expect!

I have so much to do now. i have an extra sata hdd I want to use for installing Linux, I also need to set up the wireless netowrk for the windows xp, and fine tune the vx2235 viewsonic monitor.

There is also the possibility of overclocking the system.

I feel this card is going to work. If it does I can post to the pc graduate site!

-