PDA

View Full Version : MSI K8N Neo Platinum ms7035

rontom
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Hello,
I have this stated mb and it's worked very well for me (for almost 2 years) except for one thing. I guess the cmos battery was bad before it was delivered to me initially and I lost all CMOS setting (no big deal) but I also lost the mac lan address. I know the address is stamped inside on the mb but I can't figure out how to re-enter the string to enable the mac lan address to work properly. My work-around for this issue was to buy an ethernet card and install in one of the slots and all was good. Still, I would like to repair my onboard mac lan address (hopefully without having to flash the bios) and remove the ethernet card and get this to work the way it's suppose to! Did anyone else on the forum have this problem or know how to resolve the issue? Thanks so much,

rontom

Rob
02-07-2007, 06:13 AM
I think this FAQ from the MSI Knowledge database will work for you.
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/formviewer.asp?esoformid=831

rontom
02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the FAQ did not help in my case because the BIOS version I have does not allow manually entering the MAC LAN Address in the BIOS. It does allow enabling or disabling (automatic). However, you did point me in the right direction on the MSI forums. In the MSI forum (BIOS) I found a discussion that resolved my problem. I had to download an attached file called "MAC.rar". This utility program will enable the user to manually enter the MAC LAN Address for the nvidia MAC LAN (or any other nic card for that matter). I was skeptical about downloading files from the internet, especially a format I was not familiar with (*.rar is a compressed file similar to winzip...there is a program anyone can download from the internet, for free, to un-zip this file). Once installed, the MAC LAN can be entered in the program without having to flash the BIOS (I liked this because I'm not comfortable with flashing the BIOS)! I will try and attach the MAC.rar to this post for others to use if they want. A two year problem is finally solved and I have removed the nic card I used for the workaround!!

Thanks, for the great website Rob and the forums should really be helpful.
(I can't attach the *.rar so I will copy the link to the original MSI forum)

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=96633.0