PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit

jeanone
10-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Please help me. I am in planning stage of my new super computer.
Last year I have built a computer with XP, because many people scared me of 'non-compatibility' of Vista OS.

Now, much of gliches have solved ( I hope),
I'd like built one with Vista. And I am confused which Vista 32 vs. 64.

What is the difference? Which one I should use?

I am not a gamer.
Main uses are Photoshop, video of internet viewing, and viewing of PC source.
Samsung said my 750 series HDTV needs 'Vista' only to connect wireless connction to modem, 'wireless IP sharer'.

Barrister73
10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
The "important" difference is that you can use up to only 3 gig on Vista 32. 64 allows you to use more (8?).

I personally went with 64 because I expect programs in the near future to require at least 4 gig and I didn't want to have to install a new OS any time soon. I have not had a problem with Vista other than the monitor not waking from sleep. This seems to be a common problem and easy to work around. Other than that, flawless.

The real question is; what type of Vista 64 to buy?

MRR

RickyTick
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I can't find where I read it, but I remember an article that said Vista 32 with 3gb of ram doesn't perform as well as Vista 32 with 2gb of ram. I'll do more research and see if I can verify that.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine building a pc today with anything other than Vista 64bit and 4 gb of ram.

jeanone
10-28-2008, 05:25 AM
:): It is nice and clear that I have to go Vista 64 bit (Extreme?).

The Wise Monkey
10-28-2008, 06:19 AM
The "important" difference is that you can use up to only 3 gig on Vista 32. 64 allows you to use more (8?).

Actually, 64-bit allows you to use up to 2TB depending on the OS. Vista-64 supports up to a max of 128GB, but Windows Server 2008/2003 support up to 2TB of RAM.

This is also another difference between Home Premium and Ultimate - HP "only" supports 16GB of RAM.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

zburns
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, I totally agree with you on using Vista 64 bit; wish I did. Please give 32 bit a break. I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit; 4 gig RAM. On day one, 3.5 gig usable memory. Right now I have available 2.53 gig. "Fast as a speeding bullet" compared to any other system I use.

The Wise Monkey
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
There is nothing wrong with Vista 32-bit, but 64-bit is actually faster than 32 in certain calculations e.g. large floating point calcs and the like. This is because it can fully utilise a 64-bit CPU, while a 32-bit OS cannot.

zburns
10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Jeanone: Although I have Vista Ultimate 32 bit, I agree with RickyTick and Wise Monkey with regard to 64 bit. But be aware that Adobe CS4 (latest photoshop, indesign, illustrator, etc) is now available in 64 bit, but you should be sure that it too is trouble free, etc.. You probably will have no problem with Vista 64 bit, but do check out Adobe 64 bit since it is new.

Last comment, if you buy a monitor, most of the lowest cost monitors will have TN panels or "screens". My experience with mine is very poor for working with photos because the contrast changes dramatically with the viewing angle. Depends on how much work you do in photoshop and how much color. For steady monitor work on any color work incl photoshop, look for monitors used by other photoshop users. Some or many (I do not know) manufacturers who use TN panels try to hide the fact that they use them, so you have to dig out the info.