PDA

View Full Version : Dead Computer

Damlite
10-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

my computer that i've built several months ago has decided to die out on me. it booted up as per normal and was running for a good hour or so when it suddenly turned off, including the motherboard checklights. Now, it won't turn on, at all. I'm guessing it might be a faulty powersupply or motherboard, as there were little static noises as i re plugged the powersupply cable. I'll try and fetch another powersupply from another computer and see what it does. My warranty still covers this but in the meantime, does anyone have any particular remedy or obvious solution to solve this (or has it happened to you before)?

Case: Thermaltake Armor+ MX
Mobo: XFX 780i SLI
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz
PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
Ram: Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-8500
GPU: XFX 9800GTX xXx Edition
HD: WD Caviar 640GB
Optical: Pioneer DVDRW-215
Monitor: Samsung 2253LW 21.6" LCD
Misc: Razer Lycosa Keyboard, Razer Lachesis Mouse, Belkin 54G Wireless Router and SpeedStream DSL Modem, Logitech X-240 Speaker System

zburns
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem. The power supply fan should be running independant of the mobo.

The DVD RW drive should roll out, roll back w/o mobo functional. These two items if working would imply PSU is at least partially ok. If you have a ac/dc multimeter, no matter how cheap, you can at least check the voltages at each plug pinout; I have not had to do that, but it should be a no brainer. That would isolate the problem to one or the other without having to pull the power supply and unravel your cable routing, etc..

I have only built this one computer, but that's the direction I would go, and I do have a multimeter. Others with more experience might suggest a clearer path to take.

You also have one or two 4 pin plugs that go to the mobo from the psu, as I recall. Are they pushed in all the way? I assume you've tried that.

What case and PSU do you have?

Damlite
10-20-2008, 09:01 PM
There is no power at all to it. I turn the power supply on, and the motherboard's checklights dont flick on, so I can't tell if its the motherboard thats gone nuts, or whether the powersupply is faulty. Other then that, there's not really much of a change in its environment. I haven't moved it around, did not recently install any hardware nor software or made any alterations at all. I've tried the power plug re plugging on pretty much all parts except the hard drive, no chicken. Haven't tried checking voltages or getting another powersupply yet, don't have a spare one lying around thats around 500W.

update: I've concluded it to be something wrong with the power supply, at the very least. It is now out of the computer, and does not work. My multi meter indicates there is nothing wrong with the lead. I am currently in the process of testing it with other leads, and in other systems.

conclusion update: I noticed there was a sizzling sound whenever the lead was inserted inside. The powersupply is downright faulty. It sounds like its frying up inside. I'm going to return it in and ask for a new one (and act all angry and pissed off so that they might give me an 850W or something :P)

Thanks for the input burns.

Damlite
10-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Got a new powersupply. Working fine (computer booted up litterally as if nothing happened).