PDA

View Full Version : Vista random startup from sleep mode.

zburns
10-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I have 32 bit Vista and no problems, essentially, since May when I did my build. This morning, I clicked my comp into "sleep mode"; all the fans shut down in the usual short time. But within a minute or two, they started back up again with no command from me.

I am assuming this was a valid, intentional, command, not a "Vista bleep". I looked at the few Vista programs I knew could run in the background such as update, defender, disc defrag, and a few others I knew about, plus my antivirus -- nothing was running.

My question is: what do I look for or "open" up to see if any "thing" was running in the background? If some outside entity was trying to use my computer, how would I know it by "looking" inside, meaning "what would I look for" and how would I look for it, etc..?

I have three books on Vista but I cannot come up with a "good" "index term or phrase to "look up". My question is really general in nature -- ie how do I find out what's running behind my back if I want to know? Thanks!!

The Wise Monkey
10-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Try this program: http://www.runscanner.net/default.aspx

By the way, I think that this is an issue with Vista in that it has issues with the Sleep mode. My PC refuses to go to sleep - it wakes up like yours after a minute or two.

zburns
10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Wise Monkey, thanks. I briefly looked at "Runscanner" website. The author warns against deleting stuff without knowing what you are doing. This is how I mortally wounded my old computer! Not sure I will run the scan but I will put my question there. Again thanks for the link.