PDA

View Full Version : LapTop Question

holcikam
10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi folks, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I'm looking for some help since you're all so knowledgable(not being sarcastic at all!).

I need to figure out what kind of build on a laptop would be optimal for me if i'm looking to use programs like formz (3d rendering and modeling), autocad, vectorworks and photoshop. I'm a little confused as to how important different aspects of a system are for using programs like these.

I know i want dual core processor, a 7200rpm hard drive, and probably a good videocard. I know little about the chipsets on laptops or even what kind of processor would be good for these types of applications.

Any help or even a link to somewhere where I can figure it out for myself would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. looking to build something between $1000-$3000. I know it's a huge range, but obviously the cheaper the better as long as I can work with these programs efficiently and without frustration(that's bad enough as you're designing stuff, haha).

The Wise Monkey
10-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Uh, you can't actually build laptops as such. Companies like Dell or HP usually allow customisation of a base model to give as much power as you need, but you cannot build a laptop for yourself from scratch.

Well, you can, but it involves a lot more technical knowledge than is reasonable to expect, plus it is a lot harder to get the parts.

The closest you could get to building a laptop from scratch would be to buy a laptop with the processor you want, because you can change the hard drive, RAM and graphics card reasonably easily.

RickyTick
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
This laptop is a bit pricey, but its one awesome pc.
http://gizmodo.com/5035828/lenovo-thinkpad-w700-has-a-built+in-wacom-tablet-and-professional-grade-screen