PDA

View Full Version : Still need some pointers...

amnwebb
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I posted about my initial boot problem, and although I got a timely response it didn't point me in the right direction. I get a message on startup about having nowhere to boot from, and I understand that's because I don't have a hard drive installed. What I don't understand is the lack of a beep from my mobo, and my inability to get away from this msg. Press a key and you get a duplicate msg. I pressed ctrl+alt+del... monitor goes to stndby for a moment, then pops back on to a blank screen for a moment, then back to the boot msg. I tried a few times, and once or twice I saw the ASUS logo flicker on the screen like it was about to take me to BIOS setup, but it still ended up back at the boot msg. I'm lost guys...is this a bad mobo?

RickyTick
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
You'll never get anywhere without a hard drive. Install the HD and then boot up.

The Wise Monkey
10-14-2008, 05:53 AM
Your motherboard may not beep - mine doesn't. It may be an option you have to enable in the BIOS, or you may have connected the internal speaker up incorrectly.

No beep is not always a bad thing; long beeps are usually a much worse sign. :)

chunkylover53
10-14-2008, 07:37 AM
As was already said, time to connect the hard drive - the boot message is a good sign, not a bad one :D. However, if you want to solve the beep thing once and for all...

Looks like your mobo has a speaker connection, so the most likely scenario is that the case doesn't have a speaker or that it isn't hooked up. I couldn't find the make or model of your case in your old postings, so I posted an image from your mobo manual. Do you have anything connected to the speaker connector? If yes, then there might be a setting in the BIOS to turn it on. If not, does the bundle of cables that came with the case have one? If so, connect it. If not, your case doesn't have a speaker, but neither do tons of other cases. Mine has one, and I disconnected it after 2 weeks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31384709@N05/2940733519/

amnwebb
10-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if I hooked up a speaker or not, but I don't think the case had one.I'll hook up the hard drive next time I get a chance. I wish I could do it now, but all the parts are at my brother's house. Is there anything special about installing the hard drive besides just plugging it up?

chunkylover53
10-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Should be easy peasy, but again, I can't say 100% unless you tell us what make & model the case is. Putting a new hard drive in some older cases might be trickier if you have the mobo already in and have to slide the drive in from the back. Most newer cases, I assume, you slide them in from the side.