PDA

View Full Version : My pc's max memory?

jguess
10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
This is my first time upgrading. I have a gateway 9500 gt quad core phenom with 3 gigs running vista 32. According to the crucial website, my systems limit is 4 gigs. I was looking at 4gigs 2(2) of corsair on newegg since it has a rebate or 2(1) gig of crucial. My question is whether my system would recognize and use the extra ram from the corsair or if its a waste w/o vista 64? Also what determines your max memory.. the amount of slots available for memory? Id like to get the most ram possible in this pc! Thanks for your help.

RickyTick
10-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Without a 64-bit operating system, you would be wasting money moving from 3 to 4 gb.

jguess
10-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Are you refering too vista 32 only recognizing 3 gb? If so I found a workaround for this a while back on a gaming forum which lets your system recognize more then 3gb. If you dont mind can you elaborate? Thanks!

RickyTick
10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Even with the "work-around" it still won't address the entire 4gb. Furthermore, Vista runs just fine on 2gb of ram. So if you have 3, then you should have more than enough to operate. (Depending on what programs you're running of course)

I have 4gb with the 64 bit OS, and I rarely use more than 50% of my ram capabilities.

I'm not the Tech expert around here, so maybe some others might have differing opinions.

jguess
10-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Ok, thanks for the help.. looking into vista 64 also, and I use this pc for gaming, go figure. Anyone else?

RickyTick
10-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I use mine for gaming mostly too, and I have zero issues with Vista 64bit.

The Wise Monkey
10-12-2008, 11:08 AM
*puts hand up*

I've been using Vista 64 for a while now, and have had no problems with any gaming. You can turn off Aero and all the unneccessary stuff if need be, but that would just be part of your standard FPS gaining techniques.

If FPS is that important, then stick with XP, but stay away from XP 64 as it can be difficult to find supported drivers.

jguess
10-12-2008, 12:02 PM
So my money would be better spent on vista 64 then more memory probably? I can run the games I play fine on 32 but love to upgrade.

The Wise Monkey
10-12-2008, 01:09 PM
If you can run the games fine, then why upgrade? :s

You won't see any performance increase in terms of FPS by upgrading to a 64-bit OS, as most games will still run in a 32-bit environment. Your OS will keep two Program Files folders - one for x64 (64-bit), and one for x86 (32-bit) programs.

It is kind of pointless to buy Vista 64 without having 4GB of memory, and it is a waste to buy 4GB of RAM without having a 64-bit OS, so you would really need them both to notice any difference in terms of performance.

If you are looking for a performance increase, then you are better off upgrading your GFX card or hard drives, as adding the extra 1GB of RAM won't have that much effect.

zburns
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Another perspective on Vista 32 bit and RAM. I have 32 bit Vista and 4 gig Crucial RAM. My total usable memory is 3.5 gig; present available unused memory is 2.68 gig, meaning Vista OS 32 bit and all else I have loaded (not much) is using 0.8 gig. The 2.68 unused means stuff can run in the background and still, everything I use the computer for (no games) but RAW photo 15 meg files absolutly "fly". (Still wish I had 64 bit now!)

jguess
10-12-2008, 03:51 PM
The game I play mostly is Age of Conan. It runs well but there is always room for improvement. I'm going to upgrade to vista 64 and purchase ram like you mentioned. GFX card and hardrive both are beefy enough already =)

Thanks rickyticky and thewisemonkey for your help, I just found this site the other day and it has quickly become one of my favorites!

Cirndle
11-15-2008, 02:33 AM
I would really really upgrade your graphics card if you are playing those kinds of games. Ram is not going to help you much, I mean some in the general scheme of things, like more backgrounds services and apps running while gaming, but for smoother game play, a new graphics card will be superior. You should at least have a 8800gt, but currently I recommend the HD 4850 by ATi, it is comparable to GX 260, and GX 280 when overclocked. Those are the tops cards from Nvidia, and Ati's Hd 4850 keeps up with them. Just google it, and you will see the benchmarks and reviews.

Please, please buy a gpu and not memory.

here is a link:

http://xtreview.com/review229.htm

Recommended cards:

800gt Newegg search page for all brands.
This card surpasses the 9600Gt, and is actually the same card as a 9800GT minus a special instruction stepping set.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048&Description=8800gt&name=Desktop%20Graphics%20%2f%20Video%20Cards

HD4850 best bang for buck on market currently.
Runs a bit hot, but with the new Control Catalyst Center drivers you can change the fan speed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048&Description=HD%204850&name=Desktop%20Graphics%20%2f%20Video%20Cards

Hope this helps, but seriously, ram is not going to help much. Your gpu is your bottleneck.