PDA

View Full Version : RAM problem

wolupu
10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting this question in this forum....I tried posting it in the "General Hardware" category several days ago, but haven't gotten any responses....it's getting pretty lonely in there! Here's the question, I'll be most grateful for any help:

My system is about 9 months old. I'm using 4 1-meg sticks of Crucial DDR2 ram. Awhile back, 1 of the sticks went bad for some reason I never determined. Crucial replaced it for me...(but I had to send back one of the good sticks because I bought them in pairs). They sent me the new RAM, but I've been too busy to put it in...yeah, I know, it takes about 30 seconds, but I'm lazy ...anyway, I powered up earlier today, and the system wouldn't boot up.....lights and fans came on, but no video...just wanting to rule out the RAM, I swapped out the 2 sticks for the 2 new sticks Crucial sent me, and I was able to boot up fine. Then I took everything out and tried the 2 old sticks one at a time, and neither worked, so it seems they both went bad at the same time, which is either a coincidence or may mean something else is wrong, correct? I called the motherboard company...I'm using an ASUS P5N32-E SLI...they had me change a couple of the settings in my BIOS...it seemed that the memory frequency and voltage settings were off a bit....I changed the frequency from 800 to 1066, and the voltage from 2.2 to 2.0.....my question is, could this have been the problem??.....should I check something else?? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

The Wise Monkey
10-08-2008, 05:01 AM
If they came from the same batch, then it is possible that there was a slight defect that would have been replicated, so both going wrong at the same time isn't as unlikely.

bug
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I agree.. both could have been from the same faulty batch.

The voltage settings could also very likely be the problem.