PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what quite happened with my new build

Fallen_Hero
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey all,

Seems just about the time I get my new PC up and running it decided to die on me. I plugged some headphones into my front ports of my Sonata III 500 and bam, it shut down.

I tried clearing the CMOS but to no avail.

I opened the case, and noticed the mobo light was flashing instead of being constantly on. I did some investigating on the forums and found that that might be a bad power supply. I went out to the store and got a new 700w psu instead of the 500w that came with the case. Now the light on my mother stays on without blinking but I still get nothing when I hit the power.

I tried taking everything off of the mobo besides the chip and heatsink but got no response, just silence.

I remember reading somewhere about the case's problem with static electricity concerning the front ports but I had thought they fixed that.

Any ideas?

I am running the m2n32 wifi deluxe motherboard with a AMD 3.2 duel core
4 gigs of ram with a 9800 gtx+ssc edition video card.

It figures I would get it running for a day and then it would decide to die on me.:mad::mad:

Update: I took the whole motherboard out of the case and tried to boot it up but once again nothing happened, I then attached some items such as the video card and ram but still nothing. While doing this I made sure to check all of the connections to the psu to make sure they weren't loose.

The green motherboard light was still on throughout this process.

tibug
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
A bad PSU could have fried the motherboard...that's all I can think of. Oh, and make sure that your front connectors are all in the right places...they are pretty easy to knock lose from the mobo if you're not careful..

No fans? Ouch. Make sure the psu is set for the right voltage...but if you're not even getting fan movement...do you have the fans connected through the mobo or just to the PSU?

Fallen_Hero
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I first thought the problem was the power supply but I bought and installed a new one and it didn't help. I am positive everything was connected correctly.

I have the cpu fan connected to the motherboard but the case fan is just connected to the power supply. Neither are turning on at all when I hit the switch. Could the switch on the case itself been damaged?

I am guessing trying to plug the mic into the front ports sparked up the static issue with the case and fried the motherboard? Other than that I am at a loss. I ordered a new motherboard and will be installing it tomorrow, I'll keep you updated.

Fallen_Hero
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry I have been so late with the reply but it turns out it was a bad motherboard....or atleast I would like to tell people. :o I think I may have caused the Mobo to short.

What happend was when building my pc I added a sound card to my mobo. Then when tuning my bio I think I forgot to disable the onboard sound to my mobo so when I went to plug in my headphones in to front ports of my case it shorted the board because the front jacks are run my the onboard sound.

Guess we live and learn! I now have the onboard sound disable (which inturn disables the front jacks anyway) and everything is running fine on my new mobo.