View Full Version : Hey ,Dad needs Help

poolboy
10-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Im trying to upgrade my sons computer.
Celeron 2.4 cpu
2 MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9200 series card
Motherboard is a 1.5V board.
I am finding it difficult to find a AGP card that will fit and work properly in that slot.Just when I thought I found a card (sapphire 1650 or the 3650) I then researched that it might fit but will not work because of the 1.5V not being compatible? Building a new computer is in our thoughts but I would like to put it off as long as I can.
The only game he enjoys playing is w.o.w. Any card card suggestions?

Cirndle
10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Read this link it will tell you about the different agp slot types and their voltages. There is a picture next to the compatibility section.

Also listing the motherboard would help as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

This link below shows what 1.5v agp is for, and what cards are 1.5v

http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html

Here is the list, please visit the site:

" Enter keyword(s):

Home >> Motherboards >> Resources - Motherboards >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is 1.5V AGP and .8V AGP?
By Lee Penrod

You are encouraged to make links to this article from your website and tell your friends

The following article is based on years of experience. It is provided as a free service to our customers and visitors. However, Directron.com is not responsible for any damage as a result of following any of this advice.

Copying the contents for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited without Directron.com's written consent. However, you are welcome to distribute these computer support tips free to your friends and associates as long as it's not for commercial purposes and you acknowledge the source. You are permitted and encouraged to create links to this page from your own web site.

The title of this article is currently one of the most asked questions of our sales department. This article will take a look at this issue and educate you about the topic.

Who needs a 1.5V AGP card?
What cards are 1.5V?
Is my AGP card 1.5V?
Isn't AGP backwards compatible?
What is .8V AGP?
Who needs a 1.5V AGP card?
1.5V AGP cards have increasingly become a requirement of new motherboards/chipsets. If a motherboard requires a 1.5V AGP card and you place a AGP card in it that is not 1.5V, you will physically damage the motherboard and probably the video card as well. The following chipsets are known to require 1.5V AGP.

Intel
i845-all versions/variants
i850-all versions/variants
i850E-all
sis-all for P4
AMD
All Force chipsets including 220D,220,420,420D,415,415D
As a rule of thumb it is best to use a 1.5V AGP card with a new motherboard if there is any doubt.(Especially true for Intel based systems P4 and above.)

What cards are 1.5V AGP?
The good news is that almost all 4x AGP cards support 1.5V. For convenience here is a rough list of graphic card types that are almost always compatible.

Geforce2, Geforce2 MX, Geforce2 MX200/MX400
Geforce2 ultra/Pro/GTS/Ti
Geforce3/Ti200/Ti500
Geforce4-ALL
ATI Radeon DDR
ATI Radeon 7000/7200/7500/8500/8500LE/9000/9500/9700
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER Radeon/ALL "

"All the information is from the corresponding website urls, I do not claim to own, or produced this information, it is soley owned by the corresponding entities describe in the hyperlinks."

Peace,
Chris