PDA

View Full Version : memory getting fried

wolupu
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

My system is about 9 months old. I'm using 4 1-meg sticks of Crucial DDR2 ram. Awhile back, 1 of the sticks went bad for some reason I never determined. Crucial replaced it for me...(but I had to send back one of the good sticks because I bought them in pairs). They sent me the new RAM, but I've been too busy to put it in...yeah, I know, it takes about 30 seconds, but I'm lazy :)...anyway, I powered up earlier today, and the system wouldn't boot up.....lights and fans came on, but no video...just wanting to rule out the RAM, I swapped out the 2 sticks for the 2 new sticks Crucial sent me, and I was able to boot up fine. Then I took everything out and tried the 2 old sticks one at a time, and neither worked, so it seems they both went bad at the same time, which is either a coincidence or may mean something else is wrong, correct? I called the motherboard company...I'm using an ASUS P5N32-E SLI...they had me change a couple of the settings in my BIOS...it seemed that the memory frequency and voltage settings were off a bit....I changed the frequency from 800 to 1066, and the voltage from 2.2 to 2.0.....my question is, could this have been the problem??.....should I check something else?? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!