PDA

View Full Version : boot up problem

Nucklehead
09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
well this is my first time loading an OS into a newly built computer. i had built my last computer but had a freind load the OS. my setup:

ASUS m2n-mx se plus
AMD athlon x2 processor
corsair 1024 RAM
dynex dx-ps500w
lite-on cdrom
maxtor 250gig hdd w/ ide to sata adapter

so this is just a small little project computer to get me back into building computers. so anyway to my problem. i had assembled all the parts and made sure all connection were in its place and tight. i turned it on and it went to the post screen like it should. i pressed "DEL" to get into the CMOS. i switched the boot order so that the computer will boot from the cdrom, hdd, then floppy. did that and then rebooted the computer.

loaded an windows xp cd a friend of mine gave me a couple of years ago, assuming its still good. rebooted i placed the cd into the cdrom drive and waited for it to load. after the POST it went to a blank screen with a prompt blinking. and thats it no OS loading or error message.

did some troubleshooting and the only time i get an error message is when the hdd is not hooked up. hooked up another hdd and placed in the xp cd, with the same cmos settings. it still would not load the xp cd, but gave me an error message saying that i should reboot computer with boot media in drive...something like that. i even went as far as to trying to load ubuntu the first time.

anyone have any suggestions of what i should do next?

The Wise Monkey
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
You need the HD attached if you want to install the OS onto it, so that solves one of the problems. :)

Give the CD a thorough clean and check for any scratches - it may be slightly dirty/damaged and not able to be read correctly.