PDA

View Full Version : Antec 300

partyman97_3
09-30-2008, 05:14 AM
I see on Newegg the Antec 300 is 40 bucks with the following code, SAVECAMP0908A . Has anybody used this case in a build? I am sort of planning my next build and this seems like a decent case. I do no gaming, just browsing and some email. Thanks PM

Barrister73
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
It looks very similar to the 900 (without the clear plastic and LEDs). I really like my 900; runs very cold and rather silent. From the newegg pictures, it looks like cable management would be a bit more of a hassle with the 300 due to Antec not pre-drilling holes to run cables behind the motherboard.

I know I didn't really answer your question.

MRR

partyman97_3
09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I also have the 900 and I think it does a super job. Fairly quiet and super cool. My current system is not bleeding edge, an e2169 oc to 3ghz on a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L. I was thinking about moving my current parts to the 300 and building something a little faster in my 900.

blazer
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
i built my first pc using the antec sonata III but have not been happy with it.
not enough airflow and i don't like the front door.
i ordered a 300 from newegg and just got finished swapping components into it.
its a bit cramped inside if you have a large graphics card but my temps are about 10 degrees cooler with 4 fans running. there's room for 6 harddrives and 3 optical drives. i put 2 intake fans in front of the hard drives. like it a lot

chunkylover53
10-31-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm about to build a NAS box with the 300, mostly because I like how much room it has for hard drives. Did you use the Earthwatts PSU that came with the Sonata III? If so, is it working out OK in the 300 being on the bottom?

blazer
10-31-2008, 01:30 PM
yes and yes

zburns
11-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Blazer: That is a really neat case. My case is Sonata III and my temps seem high, but I do not see any real air flow restrictions to my unit, so maybe more fans are the answer.

In looking up the case on the net, I quickly saw a "youtube" review. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_nXwX_EzU. It is a very good video. The video shows a recessed compartment on the front left side (approximate dimensions 6" h x 2 1/2" w x 1 1/2" ) for hiding the "clump" of PSU wiring, that occupies a lot of the space in front of the PSU in the Sonata III.

Question for Blazer: Did you find this compartment "very helpful in getting rid of a lot of wire volume" -- seems to me this is a big reason to consider the case in addition to the cooling! Helps the air flow (cooling)!!

Maybe Antec sees this as a "field replacement" for the Sonata because cooling is more effective. I know I will consider it. It also has a ground wire on the front panel (in the video); this too a Sonata problem (lack of a ground wire).

I would also point out that the Antec front air filter, same in this case as the Sonata III is a very course filter. To me, this means a lot of dust moving thru, a later problem down the road? But also the same problem with the Sonata III. I guess Antec uses this filter on every case.

Another question to Blazer: Your noise level had to go up with more fans. Do you run them on low, medium or high and can you compare the noise with new case to the Sonata noise level?

blazer
11-01-2008, 09:27 AM
i think the top fan is what makes the biggest difference. the sonata III has only one exhaust fan in back. cable management is very good with the 300. a large graphics card with the poweer plug on the end is a tight fit. i paid $52 with free shipping from newegg, i should buy another and save it.

Khapheen
11-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I built my system a few months ago with an Antec 300 and it's been fantastic. Quiet, not a lot of blinking lights, good stuff.