PDA

View Full Version : Video card upgrade

Carolyn
09-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Please excuse my inexperience but I hope someone can help me. My husband recently purchased G4 Real Flight Simulator for our computer and didn't realize that we would need a much better video card to run it.

I have a Delll E310 with lots of memory but the video is "integrated". Someone told me I should get a G Force video card 7600 GT or 7800 GT. Would you suggest either one of these cards?

Also the thought of going inside the motherboard has me totally freaked out! How hard is it to actually do this myself if I have no prior experience with it.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

The Wise Monkey
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
You don't need to be so worried - Rob has provided excellent step-by-step instructions for installing your own video card:

http://www.mysuperpc.com/vcu/steps.shtml

After just having a quick look at the specs for the E310, it seems that the motherboard it comes with does not include an expansion port for installing a separate video card, which means that you wouldn't be able to add a new card in anyway.

RickyTick
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm at work right now and don't have full internet access, but the E310 has one PCI Express slot. You might be able to use an X1300 card or an FX5500. I'll double check later and post back.

The Wise Monkey
09-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I thought that it was only a PCI-e x1 slot.

RickyTick
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Any card you get for an E310 must have 3.3v PCI compatability

Here's a link that should provide all the info needed.
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=153105&query.id=59157#M153105

RickyTick
09-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Also the thought of going inside the motherboard has me totally freaked out! How hard is it to actually do this myself if I have no prior experience with it.

Actually Carolyn, if you can change the air filter in your car, then you can change out a video card too. :)

abscifi
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
yup changing graphics cards is incredibly easy. I am incredibly inexperienced as far as working on computers goes and was able to do it with no troubles and it was the first time I had ever even looked inside a computer case!