PDA

View Full Version : First PC Build Jitters

abscifi
09-26-2008, 12:13 AM
So I am a first time PC builder. I was just wondering if anybody could comment on my build. Just share some personal experience or maybe point out any compatibilities issues that I overlooked. I am going for a budget gaming PC. Thanks for you help!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9617606

The RAM I chose is: 4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

Barrister73
09-26-2008, 09:08 PM
You still need an OS. Since you want to go 4 Gig, make sure that it is along the lines of Vista 64.

MRR

abscifi
09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
thanks! I actually just realized that I have an old IDE hard drive with XP on it that I am salvaging for the time being. I know 4 gigs of ram might be overkill until I go 64 bit but I was thinking for the future and RAM is pretty cheap so I figured what the hey. Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it

Damlite
09-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Looks fine, depending on what your needs are though, not really sure if those purchases are adequate for your purpose, but it satisfies the mid gaming rig standard.

Just a question though, why are you ordering 3 motherboards? Are you building more than one computer?

Barrister73
09-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I do not know this for a fact, but I do not think you can simply swap in an old hard drive and have the OS transfer to your new computer. If it can be done, I'd love to know for when I make my next build.

MRR

blazer
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
barrister, the last time i tried it the OS booted up and i just had to load some new drivers

RickyTick
09-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd like to suggest this video card instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130379

The 8800GT runs very loud and very hot. This link above is to the 9800GT Akimbo. Which is the exact same card but with a dual slot cooler that exhausts hot air out of the case. Its only $20 more and well worth it.

Yeah, 3 motherboards listed too. I would go with the Asus.

abscifi
09-28-2008, 02:18 AM
haha sorry about the multiple motherboards. I was browsing the other night and I usually just add what interests me and clean them out later. must have forgot to clean out the rejects...The Asus M3N72-D was my first choice but I keep reading that the sata headers block the larger graphics card such as the 9 series Nvidia cards (thus the 8800 GT pick). So I found the MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum board that I think might suite my needs and allow me to be a little more up to date with a 9 series nvidia. So right now I am torn between the two motherboards because I keep hearing really good things about Asus. See what you guys think. As far as the OS I know its a shot in the dark, but I figured it at least worth a try before I paid money for Vista. Blazer's comment is encouraging that it should work. If I get it to work Ill let you know how I did it Barrister. Thanks for all this input guys I really appreciate it! Oh I don't know if yall noticed but Newegg is running a deal on the power supply I chose (Antec NeoPower 650 650W) with 75 dollars off instantly not mail in rebate! Crazy good deal...so if you need a new power supply...

Barrister73
09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
barrister, the last time i tried it the OS booted up and i just had to load some new drivers

Different type of Mobo? That's good to hear. Now I won't have to worry about getting a new OS when I next need to upgrade.

abscifi
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I am now confused. The 9800 GT Akimbo card has minimum power requirement of 12V rails rated @ 26 Amps. The power supply I have picked out is only rated 12V @ 19 Amps. However when searching for powersupplies that meet the above requirements, I have to shop in the 200-300 dollar range which is way over my budget. Is there cheaper power supplies that anyone knows of that can meet these requirements? Am I reading this wrong and the power supply I have picked out will work ok? or do I know need to lower the quality graphics card I have picked out?
Here are links to the parts in question

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4035115&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371011