PDA

View Full Version : " Looking for best and newest PC components for first build "

rgarr
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Granted, this will be my first build but I'm looking for the best, newest, and fastest components because I won't be doing this again for a few years.

I use my PC almost exclusively for photo editing, (I have lots of family photos that I want to keep on my HD for easy and quick access because I use them a lot) and music...both great HD hogs...but I upload a lot of tunes and also want them on my HD for easy access.

I'm also looking for a cool ATX see-thru case with good cooling and obviously a CPU socket that will be compatible with my mobo. I would defiitely need a DVD Burner. I'm not too familiar with the differences between IDE, Sata, Sata2, etc. I really do need your help my friends! Below is the system that I have now. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0H0678
Chipset : Intel i850E
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (4 x 256 RDRAM )
Video Card : RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700
Hard Disk : ST3120022A (120 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (120 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 1900FP - 19 inches
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82550/1/7/8/9 EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2005)

chunkylover53
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll let the rest of the group chime in on components, but my advice is don't overdo it. If you are using it for music and photos, you really don't need to go crazy. I don't believe best, newest and fastest won't really improve your experience that much. I have a mid-range build (~$1,100 w/o monitor), and I do a fair amount of video editing with EASE.

Keep in mind, if one of your main goals is longevity, that by building on your own you will make it MUCH easier and cheaper to upgrade in a few years anyway. The good news is that your other big need is a lot of HD space, and storage is cheap these days. The cool case won't set you back too much, and there is a ton to choose from.

I would go with a low to mid-range build (posted in the sticky's under BYOPC) and spend the money you are saving on better extras like a BluRay Burner or a bigger monitor. Those are two things that you will get a TON of enjoyment out of for years to come... :D

RickyTick
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Chunky

Glad to see you back. We missed you around here.

rgarr
09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
I'll let the rest of the group chime in on components, but my advice is don't overdo it. If you are using it for music and photos, you really don't need to go crazy. I don't believe best, newest and fastest won't really improve your experience that much. I have a mid-range build (~$1,100 w/o monitor), and I do a fair amount of video editing with EASE.

Keep in mind, if one of your main goals is longevity, that by building on your own you will make it MUCH easier and cheaper to upgrade in a few years anyway. The good news is that your other big need is a lot of HD space, and storage is cheap these days. The cool case won't set you back too much, and there is a ton to choose from.

I would go with a low to mid-range build (posted in the sticky's under BYOPC) and spend the money you are saving on better extras like a BluRay Burner or a bigger monitor. Those are two things that you will get a TON of enjoyment out of for years to come... :D

Thanks for the good info chunkylover53...I appreciate it my friend!

chunkylover53
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey Chunky

Glad to see you back. We missed you around here.

Glad to be back. I just moved from Arkansas to Pittsburgh, and it can take a lot out of you!