PDA

View Full Version : First build configuration & two questions

2lakes
09-20-2008, 04:48 PM
One of my goals for building my first PC is to have two monitors running off of one PC. Please check my configuration and make any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
2Lakes

Case and Power Supply
Antec Sonata III w/500 watt Earthwatts psu

Motherboard
Asus M2N32-SLI wireless edition

AMD
Athlon 64 X2 6000 AM2

With this configuration do I need to buy an addition CPU fan/cooler or can I use the one that comes with the CPU, and do I need to use Artic Silver 5?

Ram
Crucial 4 GB Kit 2GBx2 240-pin Dimm DDR2

Video Card
EVGA 256-P2-N761-TR GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Long term I would like to purchase to DVI monitors but short term I was wondering if I can use VGA to DVI converter (do they make vga to dvi converters)?

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb (maybe two of these)

Optical Drive
LiteOn LH-20A1L-06 w/LightScribe

Operating System
XP Pro

RickyTick
09-20-2008, 08:59 PM
That motherboard is the older generation 590i chipset. Sure its ok, but I would suggest going with newer technology. If you want to stay with AMD, then take a look at this mobo, it will go good with the processor you picked.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090
Now this board doesn't support SLI like the 590, but you don't want SLI if running 2 monitors anyway.

Since you're giong with Windows XP, then the 4 gb of ram is more than you can use. 2gb would be plenty.

I think you'll be disappointed with that video card. This one is only about $20 more, but its a much better product.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130360

Instead of 2) 320gb, why not just get 1) 640gb.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

That's just my thoughts. What do you think?

2lakes
09-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks RickyTick,

I guess the AM2+ is an improvement to the AM2 of the Asus motherboard I was planning on using. My concern is that I really am going to need to follow the instructions on this site and if I use others motherboards and other components that I will have a more difficult following those instructions. Am I wrong?

In any case thanks for getting back to me. Still wondering if I need to purchase a new cooler for the CPU?

2Lakes

RickyTick
09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
You don't need to go with the same components to be able to follow Rob's guide.

An added cooler is not necessary, but its nice to have, and not expensive.

2lakes
09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
RickyTick thanks.

If I can follow Rob's instruction regardless of the parts I use I guess that opens the door to changing some parts including the Motherboard from Asus to Gigabyte. I will likely never need four monitors to work with this one computer but I will need two monitors to work and at some point I could see a need for three monitors (no gaming). Will the Gigabyte motherboard lend itself to using three monitors?

What cooler would you suggest to go with the Gigabyte motherboard? Which RAM would you order? Which CPU would you use with the Gigabyte motherboard?

Regards,

Randy