PDA

View Full Version : My First PC Build

2lakes
09-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I am somewhat technical but have never built a PC from scratch. I have changed hard drives and CDs but that is about it for me.

I am thinking about building a computer for my wife, she does book editing and book design. When she does book design she uses InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, Word, and Firefox and often they all need to be open at the same time. The one thing that might be great is if she had two monitors going at the same time. She spends a great deal of time looking at her computer monitor but I think two monitors might make her job easier. So with all that said, I am wondering if there are any recommendations that might enhance the current Super PC configuration as described by Rob on this web site?

Thanks in Advance,

2Lakes

RickyTick
09-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Sure, no problem.

What's your budget?

Khapheen
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
For what it's worth, as a writer/publisher I use the same software, in almost the same kind of way - just the one monitor, but lots of things open and going at once.

I built my first PC just over a month ago, mainly following the specs on Rob's main page, and it's worked brilliantly for me. I had thought about going 'bigger' and spending a lot more, but in the end decided I probably didn't need all the extra horsepower and turned out being right. My system boots in about a minute, takes only a few seconds to load any of the CS3 aps, and runs them all flawlessly. Of course, there's always the case to be made for a bit more, a bit faster, or getting something now that you would have just gotten in six months or a year, but I guess I just wanted to convey the idea that you're probably ok without the latest and greatest if you're just going to be doing book design.

Hope this info helps...

2lakes
09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
My budget is not modest but not high end. I really am trying to hit the sweet spot of technology. On one hand I don't want to buy bleeding edge technology on the other hand I would like to have this computer work for 3 to 5 years. I am not building to try to save money but rather learn how to build, maintain, and upgrade our own computers. I would like the building process to be as painless as possible.

2lakes
09-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Khapheen,

Thanks for the input, I wonder which video card and monitor do you use?

2Lakes

Khapheen
09-15-2008, 10:50 AM
For a video card, I went low-end:

eVGA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB DDR3 ($50)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Video+Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130085
to save money, but it's been stellar for me. For a monitor, I picked up a 19" Dell Widescreen:

DELL Ultrasharp 1908FP 19-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor

neither is flashy, I guess, but I don't really play any top-end games, and it's handled everything I do - from book covers, layouts, voice to text, etc. - with absolutely no hiccups. Granted, my books don't have huge amounts of graphics, but I've kept a few windows open while tinkering with dreamweaver, indesign, photshop, and about 20 web windows all at the same time.

RickyTick
09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
From what you described, you'll need a quad core processor like the Q9300, Q9400, or Q9450, and 4 gb of DDR2 800 ram. Those are the main ingredients that will make your particular pc perform well or not. imo

You could go with the 8600GT card like Khapheen said, it would be fine. For about $50 more you could use the 9600GT card, its much better. But if you're not into gaming, then it won't matter.

zburns
09-16-2008, 08:01 AM
You have a compelling "reason to build your own" -- exactly why I built my own. Your idea about two monitors may be preferable. In the last year I read one formum comment -- cannot remember where -- and the writer prefered two monitors to one large monitor, I think trading.

I have a 24" Samsung, happy with it, but the glare from "uncovered" white area when windows are small is "tiring" and "wears" on me. Nevertheless, it is the best alternative for me, right now.

Several monitor points when using photoshop, Indesign, book design, etc.. You definitely DO NOT want a monitor with a TN panel. As you move your head around, contrast levels change dramatically; you will never know when you are looking at true colors. Impossible to work with!! I do some photo work but nothing like business oriented photoshop, Indesign, etc.. A monitor with a TN panel would be a disaster. You can find plenty of comments like this if you look.

Most, if not all, of the lowest cost monitors use a TN screen or panel because it is the cheapest way to build a monitor right now.

All that said, a recent Thread on this forum has one of my replies that addresses in more detail what I am saying here. In the this forum, go to "Build Your Own PC", then "Another New Build" by Tom Robbins (9/1/2008), then reply by zburns on Page 2 to the Tom Robbins thread. My post contains several links for "stuff" you should read about monitors, particularly the TN panels.

Hope this helps, good luck!!

Khapheen
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Great point about the monitors. You should check out zburns posts on those, were a big help to me.

2lakes
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank you all for the input. I will be careful about the monitor and perhaps will buy it after the computer is build and the 4 gig ram makes sense to me too.

I really want to stay close to Rob's configuration so I can make sense of the build. Another question that has got me concerned is the use of thermal paste, from reading this site I will need to use it for sure. I am not sure if Rob's instructions talk about thermal paste or not so I am going to asked this question:

Where exactly do you apply the thermal paste? I know it is for the CPU and CPU fan but where do you apply it?

Thanks,

Randy

RickyTick
09-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Here you go Randy.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1

2lakes
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the aticle, I did in fact read it but still have a question. Do you actually put the Artic Silver 5 thermal compound on the back side of the CPU? I wish I could be more technical with my question but that is the state of my art. I have had more computer problems which forces me to build sooner than later.

Regards,

Randy

Damlite
09-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Stick the cpu into the motherboard slot for it. After its in, apply thermal compound in the centre of the mounted cpu, a small jab will do, do not spread it, and install the cpu cooler right on top.

Barrister73
09-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Go to Arctic Silver's website. The site has some PDF files for how to apply the compound. Different CPUs "require" different applications; whether it be a line down the middle or a small blob in the center.

MRR