PDA

View Full Version : evga 9800 gtx+ psu question

Fallen_Hero
08-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi guys, new member here.

I am currently building a pc with the help of Rob's instructions and his recommended parts. I noticed some people in the forum recommending the 9800gtx+ in place of 8800 gts. I was wondering if I would have space issue with the card (it being longer then the 8800 gts) or if I would have power issues with the stock psu 500w psu the antec III case comes with. I saw in other forums people mentioning that they were having problems with psu around 500w and the 9800 gtx+.

Since they are hovering relatively around the same price I was opting with the 9800gtx+ but I wanted to make sure everything would work together alright.

As a side note, I already have purchased the antec III case. (I saw it for a good deal and couldn't refuse.) So another case and possibly another psu may be out of the question.

Thanks!

Damlite
08-28-2008, 01:14 AM
the + versions of the 9800GTX's use less power and are cooler than the standard versions because of the smaller gpu in the card, so as long as your not running multiple hard drives or optical drives, you should be okay. If you're using a quad core processor along with the 9800GTX+, i'd probably feel safer with a 600W+ psu, but that's purely personal preference. The card is quite large, as large as it's higher performing relatives, like the GTX200 series and the 9800GX2s; your antec 300 will definately fit a 9800 card, but seeing as the case has mid tower dimensions it may be difficult to dual SLI two cards, and more difficult to tri SLI them.

Fallen_Hero
08-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the response Damlite.

I am actually using the AMD 6400+ 3.2 duel core but with the mention of extra hardrive I may opt to stay with the evga 8800GTS. While I don't have an extra hardrive on my build list at the moment, I can see myself getting one in the forseeable future.

Since I am not really a hardcore gamer (more a casual one) I don't think I'll see the difference that much.

Thanks again!

Damlite
08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Your welcome.

Yea you should be okay with the 500W psu. Just note the 9800GTX+ is an excellent card and offers one of the best price vs performance ratios in the nvidia market, so its definately a better investment over the two. The 8800GTS though should already be overkill if your just a casual gamer though, so there's definately credibility in purchasing that one as well.