PDA

View Full Version : Serious Error

johnnyelvis
08-24-2008, 12:25 AM
I normally leave my computer on for days and nights and once in a while I'll shut it down for a night. I got on the computer and Windows said that it had recovered from a serious error. The details of the error said that it was a 'blue screen error' and that it was caused by a device or driver.

Is anyone familiar with this and know how to correct it? I'm afraid of losing all of my family pictures and data one day.

Thanks

The Wise Monkey
08-25-2008, 03:53 AM
If you are worried about losing data, then it would be a good idea to buy a USB hard drive and use it as a backup device - they are quite cheap now, and you can just plug them in and copy your files across.

Did you get this error when the PC had been on at night?

johnnyelvis
10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, it happens at night. But I think I know what the problem may have been. I had a central Air Conditioning unit installed and when the AC kicked in it made the house lights dim. I bought an APC batery back up unit in case the computer was also losing power when the lights dimmed.

The Wise Monkey
10-13-2008, 05:07 AM
Ah, that could have been it - a loss of power always causes some kind of problem.

Just make sure that your UPS is configured correctly, and you should be fine. :)

zburns
10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
JohnnyElvis: I would worry a lot more about the cause of your lights dimming than your computer. What you describe is pretty unusual. At a minimum you should have a qualified electrican to tell you what is going on, if you have not already.

I am saying something only because there are several very dangerous senarios that can result from what you describe.

Dkrenken
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
The lights in the home typically dim with laser printers since they work on heat and therefore draw a lot of wattage during use. This is normal.

As for your computer problem, I am having similar problems with my computer. Have you solved it yet? I suspect I have a hardware issue.