PDA

View Full Version : Help !!! No video all of a sudden

Vegeta
08-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I built this PC for my son for Xmas last year 07' with the help of you guys. EVerything has been working great with no trouble at all. Lastnite my son was on it playing Rune Scape I think it was just fine . He got home from school today and went to fire it up and he gets a long default beep and no video at all on his monitor .It doesa not even try to come out of hibernation mode . I opened it up and checked for lose wires and cable but see nothing wrong to the naked eye . What could be causing this ? Video card dead ? Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated !

Damlite
08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Check this (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm) page out for the beep codes to your corresponding BIOs.

zburns
08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I can help get you started on some obvious things. First, please post a list of your hardware. Next, I can give you some rudimentary obvious things to start with; I am not trying to insult you but tell you my limitations.

PLEASE --WHEN YOU START TO HANDLE THE APPARATUS WITH ONE OR BOTH HANDS, UNPLUG ALL POWER CABLES FIRST!!

Are your fans running, how many do you have? Unless the fans or some of them "vary" in speed, you should be used to what the "fan running noise level" sounds like? Does it sound normal?

Have there been any unusal noises or smells? If so post them.

The monitor should have a pilot light you are used to seeing when it is on! Is it on? UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE TO MONITOR AND COMPUTER CABINET!!!Make sure the monitor cable connections are all plugged in snug; hold on to the device and push firmly to see that all external connections are "tight", "snug" in their mating connection or port.

If all external connections look and feel tight, could easily be a poor connection inside the cabinet or a problem with the power supply.

VERY IMPORTANT: USE CAUTION !!!BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE CABINET WITH YOUR HAND OR HANDS, PLEASE UNPLUG THE POWER CORDS FROM BOTH THE COMPUTER CABINET AND MONITOR!!

KEEP YOUR SON AWAY FROM INSIDE OF THE CABINET!!

For some of the next stuff, rather than using a finger(s), sometimes it is better to use a probe like a tongue depressor or say a plastic ball point pen housing (with no metal pen please) -- to push on things "gently" to see if they wiggle when they should be tight, etc..

Inside your cabinet, with a good light, small pen light is good, check all power supply connections particularly those that go to the mobo, the video card and hard drive. Where a power supply connector or any other connector for that matter plugs into a board, if you can "wiggle" even a slight amount, it may not be plugged in tight. Connectors that are loose generally have a slight movement that can be felt; tight connectors really have a tight "feel".

Connectors that mate together when tight will feel that way and vice versa. Whenever I look at connectors for proper "seating", I look for "squareness"
in the appearance of the connector to its mate -- first before I start pushing or pulling on it.

Before I forget this, I am going to write it down. After checking all connections, provided you have your power supply inst. booklet and you have access to a dc multimeter, you can check your Power Supply voltages. Also if your power supply feels very hot or there is a "burning" smell even ever so slight, there would be a problem with either point -- hot or smell.

CAUTION!!! Only use a multimeter if you have experience using one or ask someone experienced with multimeters to check them(power supply voltages) for you. CAUTION!!!

Remember to use a static wrist strap and touch the case before sticking your hand in the case. Best to wear athletic shoes with good rubber soles if you are on carpet.

zburns
08-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Short comments this time. Your computer is not that old; unlikely your power supply has failed unless you have had some weird symtoms since Jan you did not mention. I would think and would assume a loose connection. Just check them all very carefully!

Vegeta
08-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I will have to look up the list of hardware for you I don't have it right now.I'll post it up later this evening. Power supply seems to be working fine because the Mobo has power all fans are running and sounding normal I can feel the HD vibrating a tiny bit like it is spinning and all cable connections feel tight the Ram, Video card and wireless card all feel like they are making a good snug connection and nothing looks or smells burnt at all . Thats was the first thing I checked .Everything looks normal . Thats what has me scratching my head . I'll have to get a Multi meter to check the power supply .

The Wise Monkey
08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Vegeta, what does the scanner say about your power level? :D

Vegeta
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Vegeta, what does the scanner say about your power level? :D
Power level 4,000 ? Thats impossible!!!! No way Kakarots power level could be higher then mine ! I am the prince of all Saiyans !!!! LMAO !!! I tried it but the damn thing wouldn't read its power. .http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o237/JackSkellington_06/DSCN0794.jpg took me a sec Wise Monkey to what you were saying . At first I was like how could my scanner printer have anything to do with this problem . LOL !

Vegeta
08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Ok guys here is a list of the hardware ! Sorry it took so long to post it but I had a hard time finding the list..I really think it could be the crappy video card took a dump. It was bought for a temporary till I could afford to get him a better one . And he had overclocked it a bit . Thanks for the help !

Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Color / UV Clear Sides / Modular Power Supply
Corsair XMS2 DHX 2048MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Samsung SH-S183L SATA LightScribe OEM Burner - 18x DVD±R, 8x DVD±R Dual Layer, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x40 CD-R, 32x40 CD-RW,
EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Motherboard CPU Bundle - T1 Version, Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Processor 2.20GHz OEM
PNY GeForce 7300 GT Video Card - 256MB GDDR2, PCI Express, SLI, DVI, VGA, HDTV, Video Card
Trendnet TEW 443PI wireless card
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
MASSCOOL BLD12025S1M 120mm Blue LED Case Fan
MASSCOOL BLD-08025S1M 80mm Blue LED Case Fan
Vantec Spectrum PCI Fan Card with Blue UV LED

Damlite
08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Saw the word overclock. Check to see if your cooling is all intact. You can do this by turning it on, then touching the components to see if their really hot (dont forget to ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case while not moving).

Vegeta
08-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Saw the word overclock. Check to see if your cooling is all intact. You can do this by turning it on, then touching the components to see if their really hot (dont forget to ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case while not moving).
All fans are running normal .